¿ no spit valve necessary ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hup_d_dup, Apr 29, 2010.

1. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You lose the rights to the last name Nakariakov and Courtois cancels sponsorship!

Marsalis played it. Mendez played it, now Sergei. They don't have the problem so I assume when we are ready, we won't either

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Simple - 1.) you make sure your horn is empty of water before you start, and 2.) if it does start to gurgle, you do what any other pro would do under the circumstances - you just blow through it.

But this clip reminds me of why I think that Nakariakov is awesome - thanks for posting it! (would it be out of line to mention that Nakariakov uses a 7C mouthpiece?)

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    not if you reference his clips with AWESOME low register playing......

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Heheh - to be fair, I don't think that his 7C is a Bach mouthpiece - I think it's something else but I can't think of what off of the top of my head.

6. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    If I can ever play that I.... I dont even know.... haha

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I don't think he does - I believe he uses a Courtois 1.25c, but that doesn't change his insane playing

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I had to go back and check - I've read multiple references that his mouthpiece (at least for a while) was a Courois 7C, and that he also did a fair amount of playing on a 10.5C - is that something you know for certain? It would be cool if you did, but it blows the whole thing out of the water that I thought it was cool that he did his amazing playing on what has been labeled for years as a "starter" mouthpiece.

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Player/horn combinations - a little old but i think i saw a more recent video where it mentioned him using a 1.25c so...

however, i have no doubt that he could play all of that one a 7c or a 10.5c

10. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I didn't catch a breath in there either . . .