0, 1, 2, 12, 23, 13, 123 - whats the logic?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Feb 19, 2011.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I had a discussion with my teacher yesterday. In many methods books, performing slurs through the seven positions, 0 comes first and 123 comes last. Personally, I find it MUCH easier to go from 123 to 0. I find it gets very difficult to relax downwards for the 23, 13 and 123 combinations, especially if such an exercise comes after long tones as it does in regimen.

I asked my teacher if there is any logic to the particular progression. It makes sense to train the embrochure to relax and produce low notes after playing higher. He said that he was curious about this too, at one point. He could find no information on it and concluded that it was was tradition based on how the trumpet is "presented" to the player, starting with open keys.

Does anyone know if there is a particular logic?

BrotherBACH

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The consummate trumpeter needs it all. If you have problems, you need to spend time working them out.

The logic for a beginner is to find what works and exploit it. It doesn't matter if going up or down is easier at that stage. There is still a ton to learn. Once the player has invested the time and up or down has become insignificant, we can try to standardize parts of the daily routine.. Before that time, we are simply wasting intellectual energy on a body that is not ready for much of anything.

3. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    I really don't think there is any particular reason why they're like that, but then again, I don't notice much difference regardless of which combination I start with. I think it's just conventional like you said, but maybe there is a reason - beats me :dontknow:

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    It's like Rowuk said. If it were easy, there would be no development. That's why they do it the "hard" way.

Tom

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You will find different sequences in different methods. On pg. 27 of Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibilities, Range Expanding to G - slur up a (M) 3rd, back down a 3rd, down a 4th, back up a 4th, up a (M) 3rd, up a (m) 3rd - begins with 123 and ends with 0. Same with the longer expanding range to G on the prev. page. Other exercises (i.e. Expanding Intervals) start with 0 and end with 123.

A smart practicer will reverse the order of these to more fully develop.

How things are presented in a method or like book is always a starting point and good use of such materials will always incorporate changing the order and other variables on one's own.

6. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    There are also some useful alternate fingerings, just to make things more interesting.

7. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    What you need to do is work beyond these progression and not consider them to be some sacred thing. They just happen to be presented this way. YOu should be able to do lip slurs all over the horn. I regularly make up things to practice for lip slurs.

bigtiny