1,001 Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by screamingmorris, May 16, 2008.

1. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    I don't think I could write a book entitled "1,001 Pet Peeves",
    because I have several thousand pet peeves and choosing just the top 1,001 would be extremely difficult.

I'm *such* a surly person :D

Today I am reminded of one of the most fequently-occuring pet peeves:

I look through the eBay trumpet and cornet ads almost every day,
    and I send questions to many of the eBay sellers to get clarification on details of many of those instruments.

Today was at least the 500th time I got a response from an eBay seller which said:
    "Yes"

"Yes" what?
    I had no idea what the "Yes" meant because the eBay seller did not mention my original question in his answer, and the eBay software did not include my original question in the answer.

So I had to note that eBay seller's name and then go looking through my eBay "Sent Messages" folder looking for that name to find out just what it was that I had asked him.

In this case, I had sent that particular eBay seller *2* questions and I did not know which of my 2 questions was related to the "Yes" answer.

I will resist the urge to list another 1,000 of my pet peeves right now because I don't want to be guilty of hogging my own thread. ;-)

So I *won't* mention eBay sellers who call huge creases in trumpet bells "dings",
    and I won't mention people who place ads in site classified sections listing 20 mouthpieces for sale, then they place the word "sold" next to half of them rather than just delete the ones that are sold, so that my using a search engine to take me to those ads keeps taking me to just what I wanted but it is "sold",
    and I won't mention...

- Morris who is obviously going through male menopause :lol:

2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Hey Morris, at least you can recognize your conditon for what it is!:-)

I agree with you on the Ebay one about the lack of your question being included with the seller's answer.

Another one , especially when I specify Yamaha in the instrument search, I get everything with Yamaha in the description including many Chinese horns with a "Yamaha care kit". Ebay should be able to sort that out to include the named instrument ONLY! Some of the other makes have the same problem to one degree or another.:-(

Well, I'll save my other 999 pet peeves for another time.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uhhh, the way I see it, searching Ebay for a great buy is kinda' like looking for a new car in a junkyard. Any grandmothers selling their father's vintage trumpet or cornet will most likely take out a classified ad in the local paper, and somebody just wanting to unload their stuff will use Craigslist.

4. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Well said! Craigslist is how I got my Ambassador cheap and got to try it first!

5. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

DubbaCTrumpetMSU Mezzo Piano User

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Lol...I know mine's not junk..but it's on eBay at the moment. :) But it's listed here as well. I'd have to totally agree on the ebay question thing, however...I've had that happen twice in the past 3 days.

6. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    VINTAGE TRUMPET/MUSICAL INSTRUMENT/VINTAGE HORN - eBay (item 290231422871 end time May-24-08 12:23:04 PDT)

That seller had a BIN of $125 on that trumpet, but some irritating person placed a $49.99 bid on it before I could complete my transaction so the BIN offer was deleted / refused.

That is another one of my pet peeves.
    I will see a trumpet listed as "Starting Bid = $100 or Buy It Now = $125" and someone will bid the $100 rather than pay the $125 Buy It Now, then the bidding goes up to $250, twice the BIN.
    Argh...

By the way, that eBay trumpet above is a York with a metal band around the bell flare.
    I have no idea what it is worth, but that band on the bell flare tells me that it is probably worth at least the $125 BIN that was initially offered?

- Morris

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You can use a minus sign to eliminate words from your search, such as:

Yamaha trumpet -care -motorcycle -2008 -student

One search I use, could be refined further:

trumpet -cecilio -new -warehouse -2008 -vase -vine -seeds -tristar

You can use a plus sign to force that word into the search.
    Signs go directly in front of the word, and a space goes after each word.

8. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Went into a pet store the other day ... asked if they had any peeves. They seemed non-plussed.

Oh, well ....

~ More Mel Bay ... less eBay ~

~ Namaste ....
    Yogi Robt

9. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    In our part of the country we only have plussed peeves.

Maybe the ones in your part of the country are non-plussed because pollution has caused genetic defects? :dontknow:

- Morris

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Pray for world peeves...........