1,001 Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by screamingmorris, May 16, 2008.

1. davereit

davereit New Friend

May 30, 2008
    I'm a long-time pianist/keyboard guy who's recently taken up the trumpet partly because I've always been ENVIOUS of the ability to flee the venue with only a small case under my arm. I play the penny whistle for the ultimate in escape-ability. ;-)

As the leader of a community-based big band I've had to have some serious, guilt-inducing "sermonettes" about:

1. Please help tear down and put away ALL the band's gear.
    2. If you can't carry, at least don't stand in the way while the rhythm section is trying to get drums/amps/bass fiddles/pianos off the stage and into the cars or storage rooms.

It's worked, though. My band does a great job of this.

BTW, the worst "band noodlers" by FAR are guitar players. The whole band will finally quiet down for a moment of instruction and the guitarist will just keep at it. Look him in the eye, remain perfectly still, and after a few minutes he'll say, "What??" They don't even know they're doing it. Those left hands have a life of their own, I guess. ;-)

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Whoa!

I wouldn't make it with you.

I am a mercenary, lol, when the gig is over, the trumpets are mingling or out the door.

Our band is 15 piece plus vocalist and we hire roadies to do the set up and tear down. Even the drum kit is set up and taken down by the roadies.

We like it that way!

-cw-

3. davereit

davereit New Friend

May 30, 2008
    Now THAT is the way to fly! :-)

As they say, "Money is the greatest labor-saving device ever invented." I'd be happy to hire the road crew, but for that one detail...