1 1/2" of tuning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Nov 9, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I have a '50s "Made In France" Noble Bb Trumpet. I enjoy playing this horn a lot........but........to get tuned to concert 'A' I have to pull the tuning slide out 1 1/2". Is this an indication of some needed repair? If so, who would you recommend?........and, how much money would you invest in this horn?

thanks........... crow

2. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    :oops: You should tune a Bb trumpet to concert Bb

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I agree with Nordlands. Concert A tuning is usually used by strings and by orchestras, generally, I have noticed. I haven't heard many concert bands tuning to A concert, rarely in the ones I have played in. A Bb instrument would tune to sounded B natural to sound like concert A.

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If it's a Bb trumpet than I agree with the others, you shouldn't be tuning it to A.

Do you mean that the horn plays very sharp when you're playing your B natural (second valve)?

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Are you tuning it that way to play music written for "Trumpet in A"? If so, then that is probably a normal amount of movement for the slide. But, remember that you need to move all of the other slides as well so that all of the notes have proper intonation.

As far as your trumpet model is concerned, I am not familiar with the Noble brand but if you love to play it, then it is worth whatever it takes to make it play correctly if, in fact, there is a problem with it. After all, it is difficult to find a trumpet like that.

6. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Am I from a different planet or what!? OF COURSE I PLAY A 'B' when I'm tuning to concert 'A'. The piano player plays an 'A'...i play a 'B'. The violin plays an 'A'...i play a 'B'. The piano plays a 'Bb"...i play a 'C'. The violin plays a 'Bb'...i play a 'C'. When you get up on a bandstand you might, or would say, "Give me an 'A'" to the piano player. What I said up above, I think, is, "when I tune to concert 'A'" (meaning that i'm tuning to the piano's/violin's A=440. Wow! Can we get back to the main part of the question. If i'm pulling the MAIN TUNING SLIDE out an 1 1/2" is it an indicator that I might need a valve alignment, or some other mechanical or structural part of the horn repaired or modified. I'm exhausted.................OK. . .bring "it" on.

7. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    What do we know about that?
    There is no indications in your profile where
    you come from.......

Joke aside: It can be a "high pitch" horn.
    Does all tones tune with 1 1/2" draw on the tuning slide?

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Whether you tune to concert Bb or A should make little difference. When playing with a string group that first tunes to A (and I check my tuning with that note), I rarely have to adjust my slide when the Bb tuning note is given. Anyway, you don't have a "high pitch" horn do you? I would think a horn made in the 50's would be A440, but who knows with those French instruments...;-)

9. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Interesting tuning (tooning) questions and answered and speaking of which planet all us rode in here on TT with....My PLANET QUESTION in order to capture this post ????

HEY DALE!!! I JUST HEARD THAT A HURRICANE IS MOVING SOME PRETTY SIZABLE WINDS UP YOUR WAY???
    Is that just a rumor?????

Shultzie the exiled Badboy-from Gig Harbor Wa.

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    That B on the trumpet tends to be sharp on some instruments. You're probably better off tuning to an open C and then seeing where that B needs to be.

Tom