1 1/2" of tuning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'm over 300 miles from the coast (about as far north in Alabama as you can get without being in Tennessee :D), so I doubt we'll get much more than some rain out of it.

2. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I don't think it's a high pitch horn. It was bought for my 59 year old friend when he was in H.S. I don't think they would lay something like that on him. I'm leaning toward the Schwab suggestion and just living with where ever the slide winds up in the tuning process. Does anyone think a valve alighnment would bring that slide in more?

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Hey Crow, could that be a Noblet trumpet is the one you have, rather than an Noble.?

4. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    mffan..........sorry about the spelling, it is NOBLET.

5. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Morn. Dale!
    I have noticed that beautiful looking Cornet Icon on the heading of your posts? Tell me more about that drawing...since you may know just how much I love the voicing of a lush warm sounding old cornet.

Glad to hear that low Tropical Depression may pass you bye...however we here in the NW are getting HAMMERED by daily wind and rain storm off the coast which travels directly into Puget sound...which is less than 3 blocks from my deep woods homestead here in Gig Haaaba which is now buried under 2 feet of wet maple and alder leaves.

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    BBDon -

You need to push that slide back in to lower those leaves to a few inches.

Sorry :evil:, Crow -

I agree with schwab about just playing it. But a check at home with a tuner should reveal if the overall tuning is sharp. Get the horn warmed up and then check C (concert Bb, but you know that) below and in the staff. Pull the slide as necessary to get the tuner centered. If it takes 1 1/2 or more inches then perhaps the horn is high pitched, or there is another reason such as too small a mouthpiece bore/backbore, bad gap, or a lousy valve alignment.

If the C is OK with not too much pull, then check B. If it is sharp then you may have a valve alignement problem. Check some other middle finger notes. If they also tend sharp that will confirm a problem. Pull your second slide, depress the valve and if you see lots of metal and not too much hole then the alignment is off.

You can also pull out #2 valve slide a bit to see if it brings sharp notes fingered with that valve down enough to help. Check the slide for obstruction too.

veery

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It's an image I cropped from a .jpg that I lifted from an eBay auction a few years ago. Here's the whole poster:

[​IMG]

Pretty neat artwork, but I haven't found an antique cornet that I'd rather play than my Bach 184. The one at the top right reminds me a lot of this old J.W. Pepper piece of junk I used to own. Talk about intonation, it wouldn't play in tune with itself - this note sharp, this one flat, etc. had the valves replated and aligned with no improvement, other than it didn't leak any more.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Crow,
    1 1/2" is quite a bit out, but a valve alignment will not help with the base intonation. It is possible that the Noblet mouthpieces played flatter than modern ones. I noticed that with some vintage cornets too.

Unless you get a tech to add some tube, you only have one choice and you figured that out. By the way, I am also an A tuner, even in our symphonic wind band. We only make concessions for the trombones............

I know better, but just in case: have you cleaned out the horn? A constricted bore will also make the horn sharp.

A student of mine had some tuning trouble recently. I discovered an earring lodged in the bell beyond sight....................

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Crow,
    1 1/2" is quite a bit out, but a valve alignment will not help with the base intonation. It is possible that the Noblet mouthpieces played flatter than modern ones. I noticed that with some vintage cornets too.

Unless you get a tech to add some tube, you only have one choice and you figured that out. By the way, I am also an A tuner, even in our symphonic wind band. We only make concessions for the trombones............

I know better, but just in case: have you cleaned out the horn? A constricted bore will also make the horn sharp.

A student of mine had some tuning trouble recently. I discovered an earring lodged in the bell beyond sight....................

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Now that takes playing by ear a little too far! Don't we wonder how it got there?

"Would you like to come up to see my etchings, er..., tone poems?"