1/2 " narrower..........

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by crowmadic, Apr 1, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I have a 1963 Holton Collegiate that must rate more than a student trumpet these days? The thing about this specific one is that it is 1/2" narrower than my other horns in the space between the lead pipe and the part of it that curves into the third valve. The same is true of the bell pipe where it curves into the first valve. Therefore my left hand feels cramped in the playing position. Sometimes I think of getting rid of the horn because of this. But then I play it and something tells me to hold onto it. Of course I can make an adjustment holding it. But when I think of culling my collection it's the one I think I should get rid of. Then sometimes I feel like it satisfies me more than my Conn Victor 22B. Do I need therapy or can someone out there help me understand my experience with these horns?

crow

2. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I'd never give up my Collegiate. It was my first horn, and it still plays nicely.
    There's something about your first horn that you just need to keep around.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I too have kept my student horn - and I'm amazed at how much it's sound has improved over the years. I still haven't found it's limits - it surely is a much better trumpet than I am a trumpet player? My Dad bought it for me when I was twelve - now he's gone, but I still have his gift. :thumbsup:

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Change the way you hold it. Because we all have different size hands there is no set rule about how to hold a horn. You can try putting your index finger on top of the bell pipe, or put one or two fingers under the third valve slide, or your 4th finger parallel to that slide and the fifth finger under. If there is a ring on that slide experiment with using different fingers to operate it.

I have an old long cornet which is tight that way and I just put my index finger on top instead of in between those tubes.

You don't have to use a death grip. Just balance the horn on the top your left thumb and whichever other finger is comfortable under the bell tube. Let there be a space between your left palm and the valves, and don't squeeze the valve body with your thumb and the other fingers. Relax and let the horn just sit on them, your thumb on the right hand should be stuck in between the first and 2nd valve and it will keep the horn from falling out of your relaxed left hand. The horn is then balanced between those three points -left thumb, left finger under bell tube and right thumb.
    veery

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Crow,
    you need therapy! Physical therapy to change the size of your left hand!

If the Holton is a real player, then you of course need to keep it and deal with the way you hold it. The tight wrap does influence the way the horn plays. If 3 fingers from your left hand above the 3rd valve slide are too cramped, then try 2 or one. That looks cool, and should chill the situation!

6. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Main question not addressed:WHY IS IT 1/2" NARROWER?! Is it made for children? Is it a trumpet/cornet?

crow

7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I doubt if anyone is alive who can answer the Holton design question. There have been many references to the narrow wrap of the trumpets, mostly in discussions of the Super Collegiates on the Forums and Holton wouldn't be the only maker that has used a narrow wrap design, i.e.
    "peashooters".

Rational thinking regarding the totality of the trumpet/cornet experience seems to be a universal human variable.:dontknow:

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I can't answer the close wrapped question either but I've dug out my Weril Pocket Trumpet and it too is very tightly wrapped. Some of the tubing is so close that at one point the lacquer has 'wicked over' between adjacent tubes. On the other hand, the pocket trumpet needs to keep a standard length of tubing into a smaller space so it makes sense in that regard. :roll:

9. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Re: 1/2 " narrower..........door clearance

Made that way so you have an extra nano-second to get it through a tight spot before it goes "DING" and there's another dent. ROFL Get rid of my Collegiate? Never! it too was my first trumpet, all those high school pep band gigs, went to the Marines with me, then to college, survived the apartment fire, took the dive off the flute playing daughter's top bunk........30 years later, she welcomed me back to the fold, old, dented, still whispers in my ear every night............."play me". Nope, there is no amount of money that will EVER take her from me...............chuck

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  10. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Re: 1/2 " narrower..........door clearance

That was very touching Chuck.I"am sure if I played violin,I would be crying as I answered this post.It would make a great Hallmark card:lol: