1 Month. Maybe time for a doctor?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DLP08, Nov 27, 2007.

1. DLP08

DLP08 New Friend

Sep 2, 2007
    Hey again TM!

Close to a month ago I got a bump on my upper lip right where the mouthpiece rim hits. The first week it was very painful. The first word that came to mind was cold sore. (though I think cold sores are 'open' while my sore is not open) My trumpet instructor said something along the lines of "of course they suck, but it happens to the best of us. Just give it time." Well, it's been a month now. The bump has moved from my rim spot to the tip of my lip. (whatever the pink spot is called :-)) The pain has been gone for nearly 2 weeks, but the bump is still there and I have no idea what it could be. Maybe a callus, or a cyst maybe? Playing above the staff is becoming such a frustration, and keeping below the staff clean is worse.
    Everyone keep saying "just stick it out" but it's been a little over a month and my playing is suffering severely.

Do I come to TM with a question. Maybe you can answer based off similar experiences. Do I continue to wait it out? Or seek a doctor? If a doctor...do family doctors usually deal with this kind of stuff, or is there some kind of specialty doctor I should be seeking out?

thanks!

David "Lipless" LP

2. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    I have a solution that works for me. I actually think that it is a pimple, cause I have had the same problem before. When I usually see one devoping, even in the small stages where you barley notice it, I pop it.... Well, its more of a squeeze it until the white puss stuff(whatever its called) stops coming out and its just blood. After that, clean it and put on some good lip balm, like Chop Savers or Daily Lip Conditioning, DCT. If you dont have any, use some normal chapstick. DO NOT USE CARMEX. There is an ingrediant that relax's your lip muscles, and it can throw your chops off for awhile.

So right now, even though it is a full pimple, pop it. It will hurt like a B!4ch, but it will get better alot faster, and wont hurt after you pop it. Believe me, alot of pain at one time, with the abillity to play your horn soon, is a whole lot better than a little pain over a long period of time, without being able to play your horn.

Also To help prevent this, make sure you watch what touches your lips. Clean your mouthpiece out every once in a while, especially the rim, as you can catch alot of nasty stuff on there in a very short amount of time. Also try to control acne from apearing.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    popping pimples can be potentially dangerous because they can pop inside too. Then you will get a MEGA infection on your lip. I do not recommend this with your chops, even if we have a lot of lucky people out there! The potential is too great!
    Anything that lasts more than a couple of weeks should be looked at by a professional. It could be harmless - then you will know for sure.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've never gotten yelled at by a doctor by bringing a genuine concern. And if you have a lump, even one that moves around, it is a valid medical kind of concern. See your doctor!

5. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Some years ago, Douglas prosser had the same problem and it was resolved with surgery in Barcelona, Spain (he was principal at Barcelona at that time).
    Results are excellent !!!
    Now he is principal at Rochester Phil.
    Ask him, is a lovely person with TONS of common sense.
    BEST WISHES !!!

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I would strongly suggest seeing a doctor. One of my former students had a little bump in the lip and it turned out to be something quite serious. It might be nothing, but just in case, it's best to find out before it could turn into a more serious health concern. The pain may have stopped only because you moved the mouthpiece down. Plus, anything that's messing up your chops for a month and won't go away is a big problem! If nothing else, a doctor might be able to tell you how to aviod this in the future.

Jason.

7. pipedope

pipedope Pianissimo User

Sep 2, 2007
    It is worth the time and trouble to see a Dr.

trust me, please

8. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi, DL,

Your doctor is the safest. He/She will know what to do and can prescribe something stronger than an "over-the-counter" med if need be.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

9. DLP08

DLP08 New Friend

Sep 2, 2007
    There is no head visible now. I did however get a pimple on top of the bump recently and popped it. Sucks to have 2 bumps lol. This bump that won't go away though is definitely something else though.

I have a scheduled Appt. with my doctor after school tomorrow..

wish me luck!

thank you for all the help!

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Keep us posted, please--we've got our fingers crossed! By the way, you didn't kiss a violist by any chance, did you?