#1 or #2 slide?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Jazzman, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    Tom-
    Which slide do you use most and why? I am playing a WT and like the #2 slide for all around playing and the #1 for jazz........what slides do you play on and when? (Not including the J slides, which I will be getting soon)

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

Occasionally I'll do a small wedding and want a real compact sound that's classically "bright." That's when I use my #2 slide.

Most of the time you'll find the #1 in my horn though. It's got a big, rich sound to die for and, although one can play with incredible power via that full .470 bore #1 slide, it still gives great control and response even at the ppp level!

When I got the horn, probably 75% of the time was with the #1 and most of the rest with the #3.

In the past year that's changed. Now it's about 75% of the time with the #1 and the rest with the #4!

CHANGES AHEAD . . .

Wait 'til your get your "J" slide(s) and then post your feelings. I believe you are going to really like what the "J" series does on jazz and pop music.

The WT trumpets slot so well and each "step" coming down is soooooo secure and precise. However, the "J" series kind of "unlocks" the slots so that, although each note is still precise, bends and glissandos, etc. are very smooth and each note doesn't "bump" on each slot temporarily when doing falls, etc. The sound is different too than it's conventional "brother" of the same number.

WHAT'S IN MY HORN TONIGHT FOR PRACTICE?

The "J4." I'm really enjoying this slide for it's dark sound . . . yet with a nice "sparkle" to it too. The "J4" is giving me great power and command on lead tpt. gigs.

Hope this helps,

Topm

3. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    J slides

Tom-
    Thanks again for your contribution!! You are the BEST........
    I am going to be ordering the J slide and wanted to know if I could buy one from you? Which one do you recommend to purchase first?

4. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

I'd order the same size that you do most of your jazz playing on. The "J" stands for "Jazz" and the "J" slides do some cool, slipperier "thangs" to bend notes and such.

For me, that would be to go with the J1 first. If you play a lot of lead on the original #1, consider the J4 also . . . it's a tad brighter edge to it, if that's what you like.

Tom