10,000 hour "rule"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Feb 10, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    The rule of thumb in bass playing is that after 3 years of playing you won't be able to tell the difference between someone who has played 3 years and someone who has played 5 years. IE there is a plateau after which the novice listener can't tell a difference.

There are of course other aspects to music such as leadership, composition, etc. Which may take longer to develop.

2. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    I believe the text is "Your Brain on Music" by Levitin and he clearly chronicles that ANYONE who is a the forefront of their chosen profession (Yo-Yo Ma, James Galway, Andy Pettit etc.) has spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 to get to the level of competence they enjoy. Resonates to a degree with the "Inner Tennis" idea of internalizing or habitualizing mechanical tasks through repetition, thus freeing the mind for higher order musical decision making.

3. JimCulp

JimCulp New Friend

Dec 13, 2010
    Well, all the above is good advice, but the 10,000 hour rule is something the neuropsychologists write about. That doesn't mean an arbitrary number of hours will make me into an Allen Vizutti, but it's a reminder that there are no shortcuts.

4. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Hmmmm... I wonder if it is more than just face time on the horn. You can pound your chops for only so long. There is a certain aspect to living, eating and breathing trumpet (music in general). This must include how much time anyone of us spend practicing off horn? That is what it takes to think musically, too. For example, I will take some music and just sight read the rhythms, or take scales and run through the fingering patterns. Maybe while walking I will practice double tonguing. These are the types of things it takes to make free your mind just play the music.

However, I will admit to trying to make up for lost time.

BrotherBACH

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hmmmm .... 7 years to become a competent musician ..... 18 months to finish Jet Pilot School?

THAT's why fighter pilots can't play the tuba. ROFL

6. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I meant my post as in...

... I didn't notice the minutes until I was done
    ... I got so deeply in to the music I didn't realize anything else (I fixed things and worked on things)
    ... I just... focused

There are days when I keep looking up at the clock to see how long it's been. Those days, I tend to observe myself not being able to concentrate and make music as well as I can (and refine them) on those days I don't really notice the clock ticking...

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    That is still not even an 8 hour day.

8. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    This "rule" is soft-science BS. Malcolm Gladwell wrote about it in one of his pseudo-intellectual books. The "examples" he provided were full of holes.

There are so many other factors that contribute to mastering anything. Setting a single factor to a concrete number is absurd.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Thank you! I nominate the above for the post of the day.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I second the nomination!:thumbsup: