10,000 hours

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Glennx, Jun 17, 2010.

1. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    The guy who sent me my first trumpet said to me, 'I have good news and bad news'
    Bad news, it takes around 10,000 hours to reach the highest levels at the trumpet
    Good news, you will be dead long before you get to 10,000 hours so make sure you enjoy the ride.

sound advice I think, and you never know, rules and theories are to be challenged, always

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm in the midst of computing how many hours I've played to ascertain IF I qualify as a professional, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 ...............................................

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I believe the original reference was to 5-10,000 repetitions not hours. This is standard for fine surgeons and too few trumpet players.

4. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805

Hummmm............. Maybe I should invent a repetition counter and sell it to all you guys!! :roll:

5. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    The Beatles you compare THEM to pro -trumpet player yuuuuuukROFL

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Repititions? That should get me there quicker, but I'll have to start my count again, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 .................................................

I'm 74 now, didn't play any from birth to age 8 and that year played bugle calls, the same perhaps 100 times each, and in successive years to age 11 when I began playing trumpet, and that year alone played every exercise in the 3 books a minimum of 10 times, next year 5 or 6 books and likewise, 7th grade on French horn, 4 books and about 25 songs, 8th grade just 1 book, my first Arban's and about 100 - 200 songs otherwise, come on every body help me count, 9 grade through 12th (HS) at least 1,000 songs, the "Stars and Stripes, Forever!" by itself at least 100 times in that duration, and goodness only knows how many times I then repeated other Sousa songs, and likewise many others. The next five years were much less, just 4-5 times repeating a song in practice before performing it, then a hiatus until college where just about the same as HS was repeated, then another hiatus until February 2006 through June 2008 where I performed at least a 1,000 songs with repetition of each at least 5-10 times in practice. Have you all kept count ... I gave up ... and it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Good point. I was considered rather good at that I did but inside my mind, each day, whether practice or match, I thought to myself, "time to learn to do this again".

8. Fishgun

Fishgun Pianissimo User

Sep 26, 2009
    This works for everything except driving (save a very few exceptions, typically professional race car drivers). Just go for a ride and notice how many drivers over the age of 35 that you still have to dodge.

The trick is that you must spend each of those 10,000 hours attempting to improve. :)

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Get out the calculators ....

I'm not a scientist, I'm just a musician. 10,000 sounds like a rather arbitrary number. Sounds like science trying to figure out art. Could anything musical really be that cut and dried????

(calculating as I type ...) How many hours do I have to go now .......

This sort of a THEORY does seem to have a lot of believers. A Suzuki violin teacher/player told me that she started too late (19) and therefore, could never be a concert soloist. It was as though it was written in stone somewhere.

And btw, I think the BEATLES stopped performing live because of screaming fans ..... they couldn't hear well enough to perform live anymore. And I agree with whoever wrote above that the 10,000 hour idea can't account for their sublime songwriting abilities. Are we only talking about performing here?

Turtle

only 9,437 hours to go!!! :thumbsup:

10. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I think Dizzy once said something about needing ten solid years to become a pro, and I think that would be about 10,000 hours or so.