10 days off.......

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rdt1959, Apr 18, 2004.

1. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia
    and if the sound I hear coming out of my trumpet was a smell, the neighbors would be calling the county health department!

We had a house full a visitors, including 3 grand children (ages 4, 3 and 1). I played a little for the kids, and even tried to get the 4 year old to buzz the mouthpiece. (It didn't work. He wanted to "blos" the horn. Iind of hard to get a 4 year old to understand the concept of bussing! :lol: )

So now...back to work...and HARD. I play for my step-daughters wedding on May 8! (nothing complicated. I tried to convice her the Maynard's "Gospel John" would be a good piece for a wedding. The girl has absolutely NO sense of humor! :shock: )

I have been here before, and I have some exercises I use to build the chops up, such as long tones, scales, and some stuff from Arbans (i.e. "Preparatory Exercises on the Turn).

Just curious what other come-backers use to get back into shape after an extended (i.e. more than a week) off?

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    1) I don't take a week off. The horn went with me on our 9 day trip to the coast and back and I managed to get three or four workouts jammed in.

2) But when I do have more than a couple of days off, I just go back to warmup/practice/woodshedding "same as always". Within a couple of days it'll all be there again; DEFINITELY within a week. I think the biggest "problem" that folks have when they take a few days off is that they "think" they're going to have problems getting back "into shape".

Jes' my bite on it...

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Warm up, long tones, before you work on anything.

Most people coming back off a layoff are anxious to get right to working on something. Warming up is so important. Every once-in-a-while I have to lay off for several days.

I FORCE myself to do a longer than usual warmup when coming back to the horn.

I also use buzzing to warm up and/or warm down. Buzzing is just a great exercise.

FWIW

M&C

4. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I find when I'm forced to take a couple days off(doesn't happen often, I rarely go even a day without playing at least a little) it's a rough for a few days but I'm stronger and more focused for the rest my embouchure has had. It's like the muscles rebuild a little from the regular beating they get.

Like the others said, take your time, warm up, and basically do your normal routine. Just expect you'll feel a little stuffy and unclear for 1-3 days.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I would recommend mouthpiece buzzing, Clarke tech. studies, and Schlossberg.

Part of any good daily diet.

dont over do it....when i take a day or two off and come back i normaly push it to much. I start working and things feel just like they did when they left, but this is a bad thing becasue i will play to much and pay for it over the course of the next week. so i would say even if you feel like you could do 3 hours the first day back, dont!