10 trumpet facts that i find interesting

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CornetBoy, Mar 23, 2013.

1. CornetBoy

CornetBoy Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2012
    1. A trumpet may seem short and compact when compared to larger brass instruments, such as the trombone, but this small instrument contains roughly 6 1/2 feet of tubing. That’s taller than the average human being, yet the instrument can fit comfortably in your hands.
    2. Trumpets are known for being used in bands and orchestras, but they also has a military component. Armies dating back to medieval times have used the trumpet as a signal device because of its loud, rich tone that can be heard over long distances.
    3. The trumpet has been around since ~1,500 BC. There is even artwork by civilizations dating back to 300BC that showcase the trumpet.
    4. The early precursors to the trumpet, cornetto and natural trumpet, didn’t have valves or keys.
    5. Trumpets come in several varieties that are built to play in different musical keys. Some examples are B-flat, F, D, E, G and C.
    6. The trumpet has a cylindrical bore. This means that the diameter of it’s tubing remains consistent throughout the length of the tubing (except for the bell flare). This is what gives the trumpet it’s characteristic, vibrant and focused sound.
    7. Modern trumpets are made from brass, which is an alloy of copper and zinc, but the earliest trumpets were made out of many different materials, including conch shells and wood.
    8. Other variations on the trumpet family include the cornet and flugelhorn. These instruments are more mellow due to their conical bore. The tubing diameter of these instruments gradually gets larger towards the end of the instrument.
    9. The trumpet may only have three valves, but you can actually play 45 distinct notes by manipulating those valves.
    10. Bass trumpet is usually played by trombonists.

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    11. The trumpet and the golf club have a lot in common. Both were invented ages ago by the same woman to torture and frustrate a man. How do we know it was a woman? A man could never be that cruel. Sorry if that sounds sexist, lets just call it "profiling". Best wishes.

3. larry tscharner

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    12. Until a trumpeter reaches a certain advanced degree of ability, wrong notes are just that..wrong. Once he has earned that reputation of being "good" (meaning better than the listener/other trumpeter) to be able to play wrong notes is a matter of "jazz interpretation".

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Is that the difference between an "artist" and musician?? ROFL

5. larry tscharner

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Good question. But seriously, at the risk of hijacking the original intent of this thread, what are the individual nuances of the two? Can a musician not be an artist? Is an artist at a higher level? Are the two interchangeable? Are we spliting hairs? Is it a case of potatoe/pototoe? Get me started on the whole philosophy of trumpet and you may be sorry you asked! Best wishes.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I was "schooled" by a guitar player that an "artist" have license and musicians do not!!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  7. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Haha you just took me way back to high school jazz ensemble. Our director used to say, "Play it wrong once, it's a mistake. Play it wrong twice, and it's Jazz." I prefer to subscribe to the Bob Ross philosophy of having "happy little accidents."

Cheers!

8. sounds7

sounds7 Forte User

Sep 4, 2004
    New Orleans
    Actually not all trumpets have a cylindrical bore. The Martin Committee and its clones have a step bore.

9. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I'm not an arartist. In fact, the arts community as a whole disgusts me. I play the trumpet. That's what I do.

10. larry tscharner

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    13. Professional trumpet players get upset when the rest of us just want to know about their choice of horn. They know its not the trumpet, but the player that makes the difference. Us hacks know that a great horn is all that we need to get to that next level...really. Its all we have in the way of hope for the future. Best wishes.

Peter McNeill likes this.