12b vibrations

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by letmeplay7, Mar 10, 2012.

1. letmeplay7

letmeplay7 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2012
    mid-continent, USA
    I am having some strange vibrations coming out of my 12B. It is starting to bother me; I can feel them in my teeth. Everything solid on the horn, and only on some notes but I have not been able to pattern it. Mine has the bottom springs and was wondering if they were the culprit, and what I might do about it. Standard "weight" MP. Anyone have any ideas?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Is your mouthpiece in all the way? Are your corks doing okay? Maybe a loose slide that vibrates at the right frequency? I do not think that bottom springs should do that, at least the bottom spring ones I have played dont.

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Letmeplay, I have run into a few strange vibrations on different Conns. 12B, 17B, 18B, and some other trumpet manufacturer too ( I can't remember the model right now ). I narrowed in on the second valve or any combination of notes in the low to mid range that included the second valve. Putting new corks in both water keys solved the problem. Don't ask me why it affects 2nd valve so much. Anyway, it's a cheap repair. The springs or cap tightness could cause it too. Play it with one hand...with the left fingers over both spit valves...and see if you can tell a difference. I took the water keys off and put my fingers directly on both ports. If you narrow to a valve, switch out the springs,caps,etc. to confirm or rule out springs, caps, etc.. I love the 12B. Good luck.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Also check the 2nd slide for tightness. I have a Severinsen that did that and it was VERY ANNOYING! Hetman's (or equivalent) #9 slide grease tightened it up after a swedging repair failed to do so. It could also be the bottom springs "singing". I have an 80A that "dances " in my hands on certain notes. Lastly, check your spit valve springs! If they are worn, you won't get a good seat even with new corks. Those springs often get overlooked as the culprit cause they are no fun replacing, so everyone just hopes they're good. They do go bad.

5. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Good point Toby about spit valve springs. That seal needs to be tight and the springs dictate that. Check the spring tension for sure.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    After further meditation on the possible problem, you should send me the horn and let me evaluate it for a month or so. :cool:

7. letmeplay7

letmeplay7 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2012
    mid-continent, USA
    Thanks guys. I just checked the aforementioned things and can't find anything yet. Nice comment on evaluating for a month--don't think so.:-(

I have only had this horn for a bit, but am continually more impressed with it..may be the Coprion bell or overall combination, but it resonates and projects better than anything I have. Seems to sing in my hands. Maybe I should put a thicker hand guard on it and stop worrying about it.

8. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    The 12B is a 22B ( New York Symphony ) with a pure copper ( coprion ) bell. Pro horn all the way.

9. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    If you're playing well and the horn's set up right, it should vibrate some. Mine does with most every piece I put on it, and it projects beautifully. The sound isn't quite right for my big band stuff, but I'm using it for a blues band were putting together, and for brass quintet. What a horn.

ed

10. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello,the King Golden Flair I use to own was doing that. Turned out it was just one of my mouthpieces that had a taper, that did not set up just right, in the mouthpiece reciever. The Pro King 1055T Silver Flair and the Pro King KMI Golden Flair had special tapered mouthpiece receivers to accept the King 7K or King 7M mouthpieces. Seems it was a new Bach M.P. that did not seat well.

My Stork,Kanstul CGP,and King 7M m.p.'s were just fine. Good luck finding the problem,probably something very minor.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012