12b vibrations

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by letmeplay7, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Check you braces and fittings for broken soilder joints. Make sure your top and bottom valve caps are tight. Check the bell ring to see if it's loose. have you clean it out inside since you got it? Take a small light and look into all the tubing.

2. letmeplay7

letmeplay7 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2012
    mid-continent, USA
    Good advice Bob. Just looked at an earlier thread; mention was made about MP taper. My MP was custom fit to my Recording, which had a wickedly tight taper (which created a huge gap and necessitated the grind job). I'll bet it doesn't fit the Conn perfectly. I'll also bet that I never would notice IF the horn wasn't set up close to perfect (for me).

3. Lambert

Lambert New Friend

Feb 28, 2012
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I'm having the same problem on my 8b Victor Conn Artist. I thought I had a leak on my 3rd slide quark, then I thought I had a hole in the slide itself, and I figured out I did.. :( Curse those 65+ year old horns, and not being able to clean certain spots..

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Since you feel the vibration on your mouth this could be it. Have you tried another mpc with a standard taper.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    This is a trumpet not a cornet, right?

6. letmeplay7

letmeplay7 Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2012
    mid-continent, USA
    It is a trumpet, and I just tried an old Conn 4 MP. It made the horn sound stuffy but vibrations were lessened...I deduce that the springs are "singing" and the not-so-perfect-fitting MP shank must somehow amplify them at certain frequencies. Also, when I really get involved in a fast passage, I tend to bang the valves hard which might also exacerbate the problem.

Thanks everybody, mystery solved!!