14-year old performs Carnival of Venice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetChris334, Oct 16, 2011.

1. TrumpetChris334

TrumpetChris334 New Friend

May 31, 2011
    Thank you for the advice.

I will use the advice given and reapply the advice accordingly on every song, and this song of course. When I'm ready, I will repost this song for you guys to watch and examine.

Keep in mind that I have only practiced this in a few days, I usually just try to get the notes down first then apply the metronome, and timing and musicality.

I know, it's an odd way of practicing, but it's a rarely that I've done that, only this and something else. Can't think. Yes, I will apply all that you've requested.

-Chris

2. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Our young friend, that is the wrong way to practice. You are creating errors that now must be corrected. When an error gets input into your computer (brain), it stays there. Bad habits are easy to start and can be very difficult to get rid of.
    For your own good, however infrequently you may do it, please stop that habit now.
    The great Rafael Mendez said it best. "If you want to play fast, you must first learn to play slow".
    Rich T.

3. TrumpetChris334

TrumpetChris334 New Friend

May 31, 2011
    Yes, it is a stupid way. But, I rarely do it, last time I did it was like, a vey long time ago, by very i mean very very. But I was very unfamiliar at first.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You are only 14 - it can't have been that long ago. :-)

There are a couple of things I'd like to add to this thread - for the guys coming down hard on Chris, give him a bit of a break. It took a lot of guts to post that up here. Let's also not forget where some of us were at age 14. When I was 14 I was in 8th grade and thought that I was really becoming something on the horn. Man, little did I know what would be in store for me just 4-5 years down the line!

Chris - I know you want to defend where you are with the tune and the fact that you only worked it for a few days. I understand that, but what you have to understand is that there are folks here who are hearing things in your playing that you probably aren't, and the issues you are dealing with run deeper than mere unfamiliarity with the tune you are playing. That's ok though - it was about when I was your age that I started to really make some progress on the horn. The difference between you and me is that you have TONS more resources available to you now than I had at the same age. USE THEM. I had no internet, no private teacher, and I lived too far away from anything to even really get those things. Even getting a decent recording was a matter of driving an hour or more to a bigger town that had a music store decent enough to have good recordings, and even then I was kind of flying blind.

Take the advice folks have given you, use the internet, find a private teacher if you can, and get to work - beat up the fundamentals, learn to use a metronome, take the rough edges off of your playing, gain some control, and do a lot of listening! In a years time, you can make some tremendous progress with some of the tools that are available to you.