1600 WB issues......

Discussion in 'Horns' started by drac, Mar 29, 2004.

1. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    Well, I have been trying the 1600 out of late and I must say I am in love with how this thing plays! Almost like it was taylor made for my playing stlye. It seems so effortless compared to all the other horns I have played. My only concern is the tone quality of this horn. It seems to lack a richness and high overtones present on all the other Kanstuls. The one I have is brushed lacquer and I wonder if the lacquer itself is causing this. Or maybe it is the secial leadpipe?? Has anyone out ther tried the silver and the lacquer?? Any differences?? Buying a new horn is agonizing.....

Jon

2. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I don't have any experience with Kanstul horns(except a few brief moments with a superb soprano cornet) but generally lacquer is darker and silver is brighter. This is because lacquer kills high overtones and silver accentuates them. This can be good sometimes. For example, lacquer flugels seem to be more popular than silver ones.

So, if you like the response of the lacquer 1600 but want a clearer, brighter sound with more high overtones than I would definatly try to get ahold of a silver one to try before you rule out that model. A silver 1600 might solve all your problems.

3. Bebop2

Bebop2 New Friend

Jan 9, 2004
    Kanstul 1600 (WB)

First of all I think that all trumpets are a compromise in some way or form. This Kanstul has a lighter weight bell. So, the sound isn't as full as say a heavy bell. But, it lights up fast and will get brighter up high and it has a more open feel.

I play a silver 1600, and I use a small weight in the bottom of the third valve. You could try using one ,two or three heavy caps. This will give the sound more core or body.
    Jim

4. connman

connman New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    York, PA
    Jon,

This thread is a little old, but did you make a decision on the finish for that WB yet?

5. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    Hey Connman, I like that name. I did decide on a finish. I went for the lightweight copper bell in a brushed finish. This should be an interesting horn. Hopefully I didn't ruin a masterpiece. I'll let you know how it plays when it get it!! Hopefully not much longer.