1920 Buescher Truetone

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Heavens2kadonka, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Okay, got this little baby off ebay for around $10 (Not including the priority mail shipping), and am wishing to pick the brains of you historical trumpet buffs...

What is the Buescher trumpet's history, and where could I find it on the internet?

And I have some questions regarding the restoration work..

1: What does a mint condition horn from this line play like? Is it worth it to restore the horn to playing quality, or am I just "farting in the wind," and I now own an excellent paper weight?

2: The valves are missing from the horn (Why I got it for so freaking cheap). So, say I discovered the Buescher Truetone is an excellent horn, worth the time and capital to restore, who could I go to for custom valvings? I'm pretty sure Blackburn could do such work, but the waiting list for any work trumpet-wise is UNGODLY. Could someone point me in the right direction (Of course, I won't need that info if I find the Truetone is a horrible horn)?

Van

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Buescher isn't a "terrible horn"... but it doesn't command very high prices on Ebay neither... check out the "completed items" lists!

My father-in-law has one (silver with gold highlighting in the floral design of the bell, original case, no major dents) and I would describe it as "pea shooter". Tight wrap and small diameter tubing. Incredibly stuffy (for me) but really accents the upper register with a very bright sound. The first time I tried to play it I honestly thought a dead mouse must be in one of the tubes somewhere or maybe the valves were in backwards.

I wouldn't go to the expense of rebuilding one myself... there are quite a few Bueschers around and like I said, the prices aren't very high on them. I think the highest I've ever noticed on ebay was slightly over $100. I've asked about them in forums in the past and nobody had much to say except to the effect that their "day is done and gone with".

3. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Dah well. 10$ is still an excellent price for a wall decoration, don't you think? :D

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Bet'cher boots it's a good price for a decoration. Heck, find some buttons and valve stems and make it look like it actually works!

5. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Heh, could always steamroll it. Flat trumpets are excellent accent pieces to ANY office or bedroom! :D

6. bhamill

bhamill New Friend

Sep 22, 2008
    Do you still have your Buescher? I just got one off Craig's list that needs parts.

7. sleight

sleight New Friend

May 20, 2010
    Yep I just inherited one. Plays with bright tone and very good intonation. Actually does semi-quaver runs in a more sure footed manner than my stradie, probably due to short throw valves!