1928 King "Commander Model" cornet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by bockhaus, Dec 9, 2009.

1. bockhaus

bockhaus Pianissimo User

May 11, 2008
    WI
    If I can get them to load right, I thought I'd share a few pics of the 1928 King "Commander Model" cornet I bought recently. I haven't had it in for the few things it needs work on, but it still looks decent and plays great.
    Horns pictures by bockhaus - Photobucket

2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Looks like it is in pretty good shape. I almost bid one one a while back. They seem pretty rare and don't show up often on ebay. Is your's medium or large bore? H N White Cornets

3. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Very nice. I've also seen them come up on e-bay infrequently. Not on my collector radar, but I've always thought it would be nice to have a good example of one. How does it play?

4. bockhaus

bockhaus Pianissimo User

May 11, 2008
    WI
    It's a medium bore. I was very surprised at how it sounded. From what I know of the HN White horns, I expected it to be decent, but it definitely exceeded my expectations. I wasn't sure about trying it out since I had never heard of this particular model. I kind of fell into it. I see from the HN White site that they didn't make them for very long. I guess with the success of the Master Model they didn't need to keep producing them. Too bad, because I think it's a fantastic horn. I tested it out during a lesson, and my professor was equally impressed. I sold a Conn 12A Coprion just to be able to pay for it. I still need to get slides loosened and a good cleaning. There is also a small ding in the leadpipe I want taken out. This cornet was definitely my "right time, right place" moment.

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Congratulations. It is a nice-looking example. I'm happy to hear that your professor concurs with your assessment of it. You should be glad it came along. A lot of us are still looking for that "right time, right place" moment (and buying a lot along the way).

6. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Glad to hear it's such a gem. I've got a 1939 Master Model that I love. I'm sure you already know this, but with a vintage horn you love so well be sure to send it to a top notch shop. My repair guy is excellent, and he's always saying how the worst jobs are those where he's repairing a prior "repair."

7. bockhaus

bockhaus Pianissimo User

May 11, 2008
    WI
    A good repair tech is a must for vintage horns. I take everything over to Charlie Melk. He has never let me down.