WTS: 1935 CONN 40B Connqueror

Discussion in 'Bb Trumpets' started by Bochawa!!!, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
  2. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    SOLD! Thanks all.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

Bochawa, my 40B is a 1933 model and it has the Pan engraving (why a flute on a trumpet??). The engraving goes back to the valve cluster. Is that different from the art-deco on yours? It also has what appears to be original lacquer.

4. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    You're not going to like what I have to say, but keep in mind the knowledge I have is not definitive and is only based on my observation of thousands of old Connies over the last decade, so I could be wrong and there might well be exceptions.

The Connquerors were released in 1932. 1932 was a pivotal year that saw many changes in production. The vocabells came with Pan engraving on the silver and gold models and the finish 4 highly polished brass version received only a very simple "Made by C.G. CONN LTD." on the bell. For most of 1932 they came with a key in slot valve borrowed from Pan-Am and did not receive the new clickless valves until late '32, early '33. (I am not sure why they didn't just use the "Conn" New Era valves, but they didn't. I think this may have been a conscious effort to make the Connquerors "different" than the New Eras.) The Vocabells also came with their own unique "Connqueror" mouthpiece, the BI-520 series.

1935 was another pivotal year for production changes. The Connqueror mps became the Precision and were offered in numbers CONN 1 though 5, with 6 coming on-line a bit later. The Precision CONN 4 became the new standard piece for all models, replacing the BI-222 Artist model. Highly polished brass was no longer offered as a finish and brass horns were lacquered for the very first time (interestingly enough the lacquer finish was not mentioned in the catalog until 1938!). Along with lacquer, a scaled down version of the art-deco engraving found on plated horns became standard issue. A notable exception to lacquer beginning in 1935 was the 1934 introduction of the 22B New York Symphony Special model which, along with all of its superfluous nickel highlights and engraving, was also lacquered. This may have been the test run for lacquer.

There is evidence to suggest that the Pan engraving was put on some finish 4 Connquerors, as you do see examples from time to time. It is also possible that some of these were plated horns that were professionally unplated and then lacquered. I believe that it is fairly safe to say that any lacquered brass CONN (22B NYSS excepted) made before 1935 was done aftermarket and possibly some of these were even sent back to Elkhart to be done at the factory.

The one in the listing above has the new art-deco engraving, lacquer and CONN 4 mp, all factory original.

Brassman64 likes this.
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't have a problem with that. It is what it is. I was just wondering about the engraving. If this 40B was de-plated, they did an excellent job, the engraving is very crisp. I've noticed 3 engravings, yours, mine and plain jane "Conn". If it was de-plated, I wonder about the sanity of the owner! ROFL

So If I want to restore it, go silver, gold, or naked!

6. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    It's hard to believe there was a time when silver plated horns were considered old school. If you wanted the latest and newest look you had to have lacquer. People had their silver horns stripped, buffed and lacquered. In some cases it was rather poorly done, but a professionally deplated horn, buffed, and lacquered can look pretty good. I don't think this happened a lot because it would have been expensive, but it did happen. As I also said the Pan engraving was put on some finish 4 horns. Here's my buddy's 1932 40B (with Pan Am valves) sporting the Pan engraving, and aftermarket lacquer (looks like epoxy so it would have been done no earlier than the late 50's) . . .

[​IMG]

7. Brassman64

Brassman64 Pianissimo User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    I have seen other engraving on Voca Bells beside the PanFlute and plain Jane I can't remember exactly but I seem to remember beautiful geometric Art Deco on Silver plate .maybe from the 50s. 48B not the 40B.I've only seen it twice does anybody have pictures.