1940's New York Bach

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rwguyker, May 20, 2013.

1. rwguyker

rwguyker New Friend

Feb 28, 2009
    At church this Sunday there was a trumpet player who played an obligatto part to the hymn we were singing. He was an older gentleman and sounded really good. After the service I went up to him to chat. I asked to see his horn and he opened his case and brought out a silver plated, made in New York Bach horn that was in great condition. The serial number was 69xx (I don't remember the last two digits) and it was a medium bore size. I checked the Bach site and that serial number fell within the 1945-1950 years. I couldn't believe what I was looking at. He let me hold it for a while and I thought I felt a tear welling up in my eye. I hadn't seen one of these New York Bachs since college (1969). I was going to ask him if he would consider selling it, but it was obvious that he really loved this horn. I never asked. I wanted to share this with you all because these New York Bachs are really special horns which, apparently, hold up quite well when taken care of.

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Great story. Thanks for sharing!

Mike

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sensitive of you not to ask. Good show! And great story too!
    Jim

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Give your ph# to his wife... in case he croaks.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sensitive and pragmatic.

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I hope I never meet you. If my wife got a good enough offer I could come home to find out I need another horn.....

"Look, honey, I sold your ugly old horn and bought a BRAND NEW horn for $100.00, and it comes with white gloves!"

Thank you, honey.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Well, you best not knock when I now wear white gloves, because it's a funeral where I'm either sounding Taps or am a pall bearer. I wear nitrites when working with a mess. Then I've got my leather lawn work gloves, and my winter warm gloves.

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Not knocking the gloves, just the horn they come with

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Yeah, white gloves supplied with a new horn is almost always the kiss of death:roll::oops::cool:

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Don't forget the metronome/tuner!!!