1950 Olds Special

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by New Trumpeter, Jul 21, 2006.

1. New Trumpeter

New Trumpeter New Friend

Jun 22, 2006
    Well, now I've done it! I spent more money and bought myself a 1950 Olds Special off eBay. Was previously owned by a guy in Canada who took really great care of it. Functionally speaking, it is so perfect that I am playing it just like it is. I am not having the horn serviced. Aesthetially speaking, lots of the finish is worn off and it is not the greatest looking horn in the world to most, but to me she is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. What counts is on the inside, as always. Her action is perfect, she is responsive and has a sweet tone. This is a great horn and I am one lucky New Trumpeter!

2. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Congrats on your find. I own about 30 Olds trumpets and love every one of them. My wife on the other hand......... :x

3. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I paid $75 for an olds special with a two-toned bell previously owned by a trumpet player turned tuba player. For that kind of money I don't think it can get any better! The valves are BUTTER!

4. gtromble

gtromble Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    I too have an Olds Special -- from the 40's. It is in great shape and a fantastic little horn. The workmanship is superb.

Galen