1956 Conn 18B bad 2nd valve saga part 2

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chuck Cox, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I wanted to thank all you guys that helped me troubleshoot my bad out of tune " buzzing " 2nd valve ( and combinations using 2nd ). I feel that I now know more than I'll ever want to know about trumpet tubing. After micro inspecting related sound ( air ) paths for leaks as well as the valve itself. I even injected the areas with some steam to clean it out. The problem was the stupid main tuning water key cork. The cork was worn down and not completely covering its' opening. Why it didn't have the awful sound with open, first, or third is somewhat of a mystery to me anyway. I took off both water keys and played it with my fingers over the holes. It sounds great ! Rubber impregnated corks were ordered yesterday.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A leaky water key only affects certain notes. Try it - play a scale while holding the key open...some notes sound awful and others sound just fine. It depends on where the nodal points are for the sound waves on the different notes.

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    A year or so ago I gave the 18B to an old HS friend who was in the trumpet section with me. I told him that the 2nd valve sounded awful....but, it was free to him and it got him started playing again. Now, I get this 17B in that is sooooo ugly and resoldered everywhere. I can't sell the 17B....so I trade it with my friend for the 18B. No prob....the 17B actually sounded better but was just ugly. Now I have the 18B which we are talking about AND now we have figured out the problem. It went on eBay last night ( norwayerwins ) and it looks like she might go to Capetown, South Africa in a few days ( wheeewwwww ). I have always felt that Capetown needed more Conns anyway.

4. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I had that same problem with my Xeno! It couldn't slot in tones above a high c...We had quite a spirited discussion on what was wrong (or not) with the horn here on TM...It turned out, after all that, to be a misaligned spit valve and a leaky cork! I now know the first thing to look at is the spit valves! :dontknow::oops:ROFL

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Two procedures I request whenever I send a brass instrument to a tech are 1. ultrasound/chem clean, and 2. Replace and align all corks and felts. I'd venture to say that most brass players DO NOT do this annually as I believe they should, and I'm as guilty as they are, but on the brass instruments I'm reselling be assured I do. Nope, not even many schools do this even to the fewer brass horns that colleges and universities own and utilize. Yep, they'll spend on the glitz but not on the guts.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Yep, that's all there is to it in many situations.
    Although recently I had a worry with with a weird vibration whenever 2nd valve was being used on my radial. Turned out the slide was ever-so-slightly loose and created the vibration! Extra slide grease of greater thickness took care of the problem. It's always the little things...