1956 Conn 18B has awful 2nd valve tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chuck Cox, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    So I bought this Conn 18B ( Coprion Bell ) about a year ago. Then I try it out and the 2nd valve produces a terrible closed off tone. Any combination using the 2nd has a slightly less terrible tone. I didn't see anything on a quick check. 2nd slide is clear....2nd valve lines up well...valve spring/cap switch is the same lousy sound. It is a good looking horn with original case ( latches even work ). But, she don't play very nice at all. She's soaking in the sink now. Any ideas guys ?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The only thing that I can imagine is that it is the wrong valve. Not only the ports in the front have to line up, the ones that lead to the first and third do too. If it is the wrong valve, those rear ports could be offset in a major way. That would result in a major restriction/leak.

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Somebody just stuck one in there to sell it?:dontknow:

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Time for a fiber optic scope inspection! Also look for variances in the style of valve 2 in comparison to to valves 1 and 3. Rowuk is most likely on the right track. Things like this happen when buying pre-owned, especially from ebay and other online sources.

5. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I'm going to check out that valve today and try to clear out the unseen associated tubings with the 2nd. Thanks guys, I'll let you know.

6. Zeé

Zeé Pianissimo User

Aug 22, 2010
    I had a 'pinhole' leak in a 2nd valve slide before that caused trouble kind of like describe, might worth checking for if you haven't eliminated that possibility yet.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If the valves are stamped with the horn's serial number, it's pretty easy to tell if one of the valves is from another horn.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    It is unlikely for the "up" ports to line up and give a good sound if the valve is wrong and the "down" ports don't line up. Check for pin holes in the port elbows and pin holes in the second slide.