1962 Paris Selmer K modified

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Shoe, Jun 3, 2012.

1. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    I would play this horn, and see if your like it. Are you able to play it, or is it an ebay horn?

Thank you.

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Thad Jones played a K-Mod.
    There is a local school who's entire trumpet fleet is made up of K-Mods. I love when they send them in because they play great. I wish they didn't use them for students to learn on though, since they are too nice to suffer the trials of being a high-school-owned trumpet.

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I got a gold plated one from 1939 that is near mint. It plays fabulously. ML bore. Highly engraved.

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    1939 predates the K-Modified by about 20 years. The pre-K-Mods are typically referred to as "Grand Prix" models, because the bell engraving includes those words. The older ones actually have model numbers, but the numbers are nowhere engraved on the horns and documentation is scarce.

Unless you're talking about a cornet or flugelhorn. They use a different serial number sequence than the trumpets, and if you use the available serial number lists to date a K-Modified cornet or flugelhorn you'll get an incorrect year -- frequently in the '30s.

5. Shoe

Shoe Pianissimo User

May 16, 2012
    Western North Carolina
    No prob D.C., and its a craigslist horn.
    And our school has all types, one guy is on a strad, ones playing a pre UMI silver flair, then there's Yamaha 2335s, bach 301s, and one cornet.

6. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Then go play it!

7. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    The proper description is PreK-Modified. The difference being the lead pipe. I have played a K-Modified. They do sound darker in my opinion. I'm happy to have a PreWar Selmer! 4 digit serial number starting with 2 puts it at the earliest I have come across. Selmer earlier trumpets are some of the best. Not quite a PreWar Besson, but still a great jazz horn. Thanks for the correction. Best Regards,
    P.S. It's not a cornet nor a flugelhorn.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  8. jake g

jake g Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2009
    I have owned one for years. it is a great horn. I was the work horse for a lot of early trumpet players. Mine is as good in all aspects today as it was 20 years ago. Play it, if you like it buy it. It will not let you down.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    For $600 that's a good deal, especially if it's local and you can go try it and inspect the valves and all. I've been scanning for such a horn for a while and they tend to go for higher than that at the end of the auction. But then I also can't make up my mind, since those gorgeous C radial keep on popping up, not to mention occsional good deals on balanced action models...
    I'm afraid I'm heading for a case N+3 or 4...

10. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    My dad bought me a new K mod in 1960 for college. ( No, didn't play it Marching Band). Sold it to Byron Autrey in 1970. Wish I had kept it, with the knowledge and communications we have today. It was getting stuffy to play, which probably wouldn't have taken much to fix. Followed that with a new Yamaha 734. With my acidic system, the lacquer was taking a beating. Now they are to expensive for a old retiree to get another one.
    Really liked the trigger action and the Samsonite case also.