1964 olds ambassador martin imperial elkhart indiana

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by New2jazz, Oct 13, 2012.

1. New2jazz

New2jazz New Friend

Apr 25, 2012
    Hi everyone

I have a chance to buy one/both of these trumpets. They're going for around the same price. I'm assured they both play well and hold good compression. I'd like to play a bit of jazz and bigband.

Which trumpet would suit best? Which is the better horn and why?

Thanking you in advance for your input

Regards

Paul

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Play them both as long as you can. Without that I'd go with the Olds, of course....:-)

3. New2jazz

New2jazz New Friend

Apr 25, 2012
    Thanks for that. Any reason why you'd side with the olds over the Martin

Thanks again

4. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Because I'm an Vintage Olds NUT! I just think for the $$ they are very well made, easy to play, last forever....

5. christophac7

christophac7 Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2012
    Boca Raton, FL
    I currently use an Olds Ambassador for Jazz (Split Lead) and Orchestral Work, so I highly recommend it! Fast valves, even slotting, projects, yet controllable.

6. New2jazz

New2jazz New Friend

Apr 25, 2012
    Thank you for the advice. I'm a returning player, classically trained in London. Now want to learn to play jazz as a hobby. I rushed in to things and bought a Berkeley winds heavy rose bell trumpet....made a mistake, should have gone for an old instrument. Looking like the olds then, I have always wanted to own a Martin but if the olds is better then better I'm sensible

Thanks again

7. New2jazz

New2jazz New Friend

Apr 25, 2012
    Oh one more thing, is 1964 a good year for an
    Olds? (sounds like red wine!) I know they weren't quite as good later on

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Olds did well for sure into the late 60's. It was during the 70's that the quality began to slide. I have a 65 vintage Ambassador, and man do I love how it plays, and after getting it refurbished several months ago, have been taking it out to play with my quintet.

9. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    The whole "Bad Olds" thing is like an urban legend. Never had ANY Olds horn right up to 1978 that wasn't just fine thank you..... Putting aside the dastardly deed of using a machine to do a toned down version of the Olds Recording engraving (a crime that cries out for the lash) I personally have not experienced the downturned quality in any instrument from the last days.....

10. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    I teach gr 7 and 8 instrumental music. For years I used a 1959 Ambassador as my school horn as I would never bring one of my own horns into the classroom. They are tanks that just keep on going and going. That they play nicely is good too!