1964 olds ambassador martin imperial elkhart indiana

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by New2jazz, Oct 13, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting. I mentor a middle school band and use to bring my Martin and Recordings into those rehearsals, but with book bags being thrown around, and kids impulsively running by to great a friend (without looking where they were going) I was always feeling like I was bring fine china into a bull ring. Since I got my Ambassador back from refurbishing, I now take it in exclusively, and all my apprehensions have now melted away. The Ambassador... the horn that most gives you piece of mind.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My Bad.

3. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    I have several women in my life who do that for me!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But the money you put out for the Ambassador has got to be a heck of a lot more economical!

5. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    That's for sure. Much more peace of mind, and much more bang for the buck in the OLDS!

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Go Olds. As Mendez says, there really aren't any bad Olds by year. Even if you do follow that belief, a 1964 would be considered a good year.

Side tracking on the "good years, bad years theory," the idea is the older the better. However, there are differences in how certain models were made during the years. One of the most obvious is the Special. Big difference in the early mid, and late horns. all good, but an early Special is a very different horn than the late nickel plated one. I see the same thing with the Supers. While many people prefer the very early Supers (40s), I really like the later ones (50s60s) better. Much heavier, different sound and blow.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Are you talking jazz combo or big band?
    While you can get a nice sound out of either horn I would look to either one for jazz combo work ... I would be looking at an older Buescher or Holton ( not collegiate) ... something that is really resonate with not much effort.
    You can find older Conns for a song as well... a 1930 22b is a little bright but man can you move around that horn.
    If it has to be between the Olds and Martin .... Olds