1965/66 Stad could use a makeover

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daleptt, Aug 9, 2011.

1. daleptt

daleptt New Friend

Apr 25, 2011
    I recently acquired a 1965/66 Bach Strad. The Lacquer is peeling and it looks pretty bad. I was wondering if someone could recommend anyone in the East Bay area near Oakland California that might be able to give it a basic overhaul and a nice new look.All the valves and slides work and compression seems OK. Sounds great and have even given some thought to leave well enough alone and just play it as is, but handsome it is not.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. MSfortissimo

MSfortissimo Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Dick Akright in Oakland can definently bring your horn up to snuff.
    I believe he works in the repair department of Best Music (In Oakland)
    Give them a call! He'll straighten things out for you.

3. daleptt

daleptt New Friend

Apr 25, 2011
    Thanks

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Dick Akright is in Oakland--and still doing great work. His shop recently relacquered a Couesnon flugelhorn and rebuilt the valves on my Recording Olds trumpet. I might suggest you wait for a month or so--his shop does a lot of school instrument work, but he actually works pretty quickly. Dick is at Best Music Repair on 14th, just down the street, and down the stairs, from his music store A&G Music. Best Musical Instruments is on Broadway, actually pretty near 14th. They also do repairs, but I've never used them. I did get them mixed up the first time I took a horn to Akright.

I have a 69 and a 65 Strad that have character--my local repair guy (Oakland is 3+ hours away, and sometimes I need a little something done) actually talked me out of getting the 65 redone. We just chem cleaned it, took out the big dents it plays great and no one can see the flaws from the audience. The Recording is in original, mid 60s condition too. Just saying, being shiny doesn't make it play better. Then again, it may make you feel better about playing it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  5. homebilly

homebilly Pianissimo User

Dec 29, 2010
    Los Angeles & Paris, Fran
    robb stewart in LA.
    best work that i have ever seen!!

6. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Just a quick thought...

I don't know if money is an issue for you, and I don't know if the horn needs dent work etc. or if you're just worried about the peeling lacquer, and I don't know if you like the raw brass look or not...

BUT, If you're looking for a cheap solution, and the horn is working ok for you, and you like the look of a raw brass horn a couple hours with some good HOT water, some ultra fine steel wool and some Mothers chrome polish and you can strip the lacquer and get the finish nice and uniform. Then you can choose to continually polish it to a nice shine or let it patina to a nice brownish finish like I like!

Just another option for ya. :play:

7. daleptt

daleptt New Friend

Apr 25, 2011
    I think I might give the hot water idea, a shot. Other than the peeling laquer, the horn plays fine, and other than a couple of small dings is in really good shape.
    I had heard that one should add a small amount of Baking Soda to the hot water, but it doesn't sound as if you use anything but hot water and some very fine steel wool. i think I will give it a try and see if I really like the raw brass look.

8. homebilly

homebilly Pianissimo User

Dec 29, 2010
    Los Angeles & Paris, Fran
    in that case send it to Kanstul. it costs 40 bucks to strip the horn

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Are You Serious? That's amazing...

Why not add some heavy valve caps and a satin finish...
    [​IMG]

10. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    I recently had a horn totally stripped and taken apart and straightened and dents removed and felts and corks replaced and a satin finish put on by Akright for $250.00.
    The work was amazing!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011