1969 Conn

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Leblanc fan, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Leblanc fan

Leblanc fan New Friend

Dec 2, 2008
    Wichita, Kansas
    I can use some help please. I just picked up a 1969 Conn silver plated trumpet off of Craigslist today. The seller said he was told it was a 60B. When I looked at the horn the only identifing markings was a single "B" on the receiver which I know means it is a trumpet and 3 marching men on the bell with Conn- Elkhart engraved. The felts are red and the horn is in great shape.

I don't think it is a director because doesn't say it on the bell. And because it is silver plated.

It has top sprung encased crysteel valves if that helps.

Can anyone give me a possible idea what model it might be?

Thanks a bunch,

Chris

2. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    If it was a 60B it would say "CONN 60B" on the outboard side of the receiver ferrule in big embossed numbers and letters. The original 60B felts were black. A single B and red felts speaks to a 38B, but without pics it's hard to say with any degree of certainty.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A picture would help, but it could be a silver plated 6B (or 10B). Those have no model and/or name markings on them. Does it have some fancy scrollwork engraving above and below the marching men stamping (like in the picture below)? If so, that's what it is.

[​IMG]

4. Leblanc fan

Leblanc fan New Friend

Dec 2, 2008
    Wichita, Kansas
    Dale, yes it does have the fancy scroll work above and below. The scroll work above goes almost to the 3rd valve brace.

5. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    That engraving eliminates 38B. I should have read a little more carefully. I'd have to go with Dale and say silver plated 6B. I don't think the 10B was available after 1962.

6. Leblanc fan

Leblanc fan New Friend

Dec 2, 2008
    Wichita, Kansas
    All right, I was able to take some pics of the horn on my lunch hour. Here they are.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let me know if you need anymore. I took about 8 more additional to these.

The serial # is M61xxx

Thanks for all your help in identifying the horn.

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    6b late model.

8. Leblanc fan

Leblanc fan New Friend

Dec 2, 2008
    Wichita, Kansas
    Awesome. Thanks for the quick response Jiaraby. I only paid $100 for it. I think I got a pretty fantastic deal out of it. It seems to be a real player.

Very easy upper register and very easy to blow.

One last question. I know it is a 1969 by the "M" on the serial #. But what about bore size? Was there different bore available? I don't care one way or the other playability wise, I just want to know as much about the horn as possible.

Thanks
    Chris

9. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    hmm here is a link to a Conn 60B from 1969 that sold on Ebay last January...

Just want to make sure... Your Serial number begins with an "M" right? (yep.. just noticed that it does)

Differences between yours and the Ebay one -
    1) Bell Logo totally different
    2) Lead Pipe - "B" on yours "CONN 60B" on the Ebay one - also the mouthpiece receiver is a different style
    3) bottom caps are a different style as well
    4) even the BRACES are different style
    5) no 3rd slide stop rod on yours either

the bracing and bottom caps on yours makes me think it is OLDER then 1969 --- like 50s or early 60s, but your serial indicates otherwise

still not sure on model though... looks similar to a 77B Connquest or a 6B (what is the diameter of the bell on yours? The 6B had a big bell like the Connstellations)