1972 Bach Stradivarius

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tjer52, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Here we go:

1976 Bach 43 ML Strad, $125 from a junk store in the late 1980's.

[​IMG]

It pays to keep looking. There are more good deals out there, but they are harder to find today.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    HeHeHe,

open internet and expectations of the rest of the worlds behavior. Nope, the web is for those who act not react.

$850 is not that great of a deal.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    ya, I didn't buy it.

4. tjer52

tjer52 New Friend

Nov 24, 2009
    I am in atlanta and and really need a old Bach since the newer ones are so inconsistent and someone told me that the early 70's Bach Strad is some of the best horn ever made.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I played a couple of brand new Bach's last month that were awesome ... an Artist Bb that was at the Namm show and a C trumpet which was incredibly engraved .. of course those horns run around $2500-2900 ... you just have to play whatever you are planning on buying.... even when you try it in the store, then you have to see how it fits in the environment you are going to play it in. I guess the Bach does have that going, you pretty much know it has a high probability of fitting.
    I play a Bach.. always have had one ... love 'em but I wouldn't tell anyone to just "go out and buy a Bach" .. too much good stuff out there. Have fun looking.. play some Shilke's, Yamaha Xeno's, try a Jaeger Diamond ...

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would say someone has fed you with pure unadulterated BS.

The current series of Bach horns are probably the most consistent in their history. Tedd Waggonner (QC at Bach) has done a great job! The 60s to the 80s are definitely the horns to play before your pay.

A 1970s Bach is simply an old horn. Bach valves wear, red rot is very common and the lacquer and silverplate are not state of the art. You really need to research to get a good deal.

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I echo the others who wrote TOO HIGH a price. I checked their site after your first post and that was my reaction.

Too bad you didn't score, but a better deal awaits if you shop carefully. Go visit Rich Ita: BIW, Inc. in Marietta. He's got lots of trumpets which might appeal to you, though I don't see any Bachs right now.

Don't buy a trumpet based on brand. Buy one based on how it plays.

If you DO find a really good Bach from the 70s or before, you might have to pay even more for it. If $850 is your max budget, you can find a ton of Bach's on line for that price. But you'll be much happier if you follow the advice in the sentence above this paragraph.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011