1972 Harry James King trumpet pic. link

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Andy Cooper, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper New Friend

Dec 31, 2003
    Indiana
    This particular model was news to me. I had a 60's Super 20 Symphony "Harry James" model with a totally different valve block design. This looks closer to a Silver Flair valve block. I had heard that he had King special make his horns with the "balance" valve forward design used in the old Selmers and Olds Recording but had never seen a picture of that design in the Kings.

http://www.usd.edu/smm/HarryJamestrumpet.html

Hope you all find this interesting.

Andy

2. trumpetera

trumpetera Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I do, indeed!

3. ed haley

ed haley New Friend

Mar 1, 2008
    Chicago
    I have a balanced trumpet made by Bobby di Nicola and like it a lot. I have wondered why this design did not become more popular.Any ideas?

4. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Interesting stuff and great pic!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Louis Armstrong's Selmer Challenger and the Olds Recording are also "balanced forward" horns. Who else made "BF" type of horns??

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
  6. soundgrazer

soundgrazer Pianissimo User

Oct 6, 2008
    Montreal
    wow

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Here is one
    [​IMG]

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

The reason is many faceted. To start with, many of us did not develope long arms, thus no great need for a balanced action. The majority of all trumpets manufactured are for the entry level students, again a dearth of long arms. This means that the machinery needed to bend the tubing for a balanced action has to be different from standard. This equates to higher manufacturing costs. Another facet is the cornet trade. How to move the valve cluster far forward on a cornet? I would love to see such an attempt.

OLDLOU>>

9. Indian

Indian Piano User

Jul 30, 2006
    South East
    Thanks for posting the pics. HN White also made custom cases for Harry. They had a compartment for a fifth of his favorite alcoholic beverage as well as mutes, etc.. I have seen a picture of one of his cases but can not seem to find it right now.

10. Alan Dismukes

Alan Dismukes Piano User

Oct 16, 2007
    Alabama
    The real question is why that case design didn't become the industry standard! Trumpet players would love such a functional case! ROFL