1st & 3rd slides

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Glennx, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Perhaps this has been covered before, but I have a quick question about how to make the 1st & 3rd slides move more freely. Is it possible to lapp them somehow? Is there a recommended fine rubbing compound that would do this, but not to excess? The A's are a bit too high and I'm getting very tired of lipping down the low C# and D. Any DIY suggestions? Thanks!

2. ManGo

ManGo Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    London
    valve oil :thumbsup:

3. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Assuming that the slides are just slow but otherwise move OK, your local instrument repair tech can do this for you very easily and inexpensively. I had this done on two instruments at different times. In the first case they didn't charge me anything because I was also buying some sheet music, and the other time it was a nominal charge.

But try the valve oil suggestion first; sometimes the lubricant just needs to be less viscous.

4. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I personally use ultra-pure valve oil, ultra-pure light tuning grease, and ultra-pure regular tuning grease. use the light on the slides, and they'll move pretty dang fast.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Jewler's rougue is a fine lapping compound, but Lava Soap or toothpaste can give cheap instant gratification. All of these are dificult to remove afterwards.

Better yet, Hold your trumpet as when playing, and work the dry slides. Wipe off the slides from time to time using the world renowned "soft dry cloth." Watch TV while you do so and brag about your multi-tasking skills later.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Removing material is always the last resort. Generally, slides are not slow because they are too big, they are slow because they are dirty or out of round or out of alignment. Lapping compounds do not solve any of these problems. A good tech will measure before recommending a course of action. Most of the slow slides that I have seen were due to bad cleaning practices. The second most common problem was due to improper handling.