1st Annual Meeting of CBPA.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ccNochops, Dec 26, 2007.

1. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    ......that would be "Come Back Players Anonymous". With all these late threads of come backers, getting teachers, try this book, got that book, trumpet playing can kill you....I just had to ask this of my brothers of the come back trail (sisters, jump in too). Think back, way back, back when your first horn still had laquer on it. Back when your mouthpiece collection could be counted on one hand, before gig bags, hottest new micro-formulated valve oils.....that's right, back the first time around. Now remember some of those "bad habits" y'all had? Did they follow you when you opened the case 15, 20, 30 years later? I found one (I'm quite sure there's a bunch more), that's right, accept the truth and it will set you free.....mine is shaking the horn up & down when I'm trying to find one more high note. Pressure, pressure, pressure.....I feel better now that all y'all know this. I continue to try to stay pressure free, but it's hard. Anybody else care to confess their "sins"? Go ahead, you'll feel better.....nobody's perfect :cool: .....chuck

2. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    This one should be easy to fix, but... I still wait until the first problematical note to check the key signature when sight-reading. Even if I glance at it in advance, I'm apt to forget if the question doesn't arise for a few bars. Usually I can hear it, but I suppose there's some hesitation while I ponder the possibilities. My teacher now waits until I have the trumpet in place and have inhaled to ask "now what key would this be in, by the way?"

(For extra credit: on the other hand, I can now sound out familiar tunes, which I never could the first time around - thanks to fooling around with the guitar in the meantime, I think, a much better choice of instrument for visually-oriented people.)

Jude

3. pipedope

pipedope Pianissimo User

Sep 2, 2007
    Hi, I'm Michael and I'm a comeback player.
    Hi Michael!

I am working hard to avoid the old, bad habits but my big one is tongue.
    I tend to fling my tongue around inside my mouth causing my articulation to be strange and not clean and consistent as I want it.

I am working on it.

4. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Oh... that kind of "anonymous"... And I can't even play high enough yet to be able to blame in on VM. Bummer.