1st dumb question...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RonD, Jun 25, 2014.

1. RonD

RonD Pianissimo User

Jun 22, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi all,

As promised, here's the first "it's probably already been answered, but I'm too old to find it" questions. :dontknow:

As I said in the introduction section, I am a "comeback" player, who has his heart set on Flugel... maybe.

Tons of research has lead me to the ACB Doubler's Flugel. Great reviews, looks good, price is amazing, and Trent makes it sound awesome! Mind you, I think Trent could
    make a garden hose and a mouthpiece sound good!
    I am about to order a Curry 60FL, or a Curry 5FL. The 600 series sounds like it might be a little more forgiving for a comebacker like me... am I on the right track?

Cheers, Ron

2. jaemard

jaemard Mezzo Piano User

Jul 2, 2012
    San Rafael, CA
    Trent could probably help you out with a mouthpiece to go with the flugel as well.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes, You're on the right track.

Mouthpieces are very personal, so if you know the sound you're chasing, and range, then I am sure Trent will help. FWIW I use the Curry 5FL.

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Nothing wrong with the Curry--I use a Wick 3. Remember the mouthpiece you use on a flugel depends on the mouthpiece shank it's designed to use. Thus--talking to Trent about what mouthpiece to use is a very good idea.

And now that I've opened that can of worms: There are large shank, small shank, and French shank flugelhorns (maybe more--I've decided there are at least 5, but that's another story). Make sure you know what shank you should be using before you order your mouthpiece.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would recommend going as big as you can on diameter. Imo it should be bigger than your trumpet mpc diameter. You've invested in a flugel so you want it to sound like a flugel.

6. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Not a dumb question. Mouthpiece is important. I'd say stick to your current rim size but get a deep cup.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I purchased one of Trent's Doubler's Flugel's. GREAT value. It will more than meet your expectations.

Call Trent to discuss your mouthpiece selections.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You can do any of the above and / or educate yourself and talk to some mpc makers. I like John Stork so here's a link to his library.
    http://www.storkcustom.com/Library.htm
    John's been making mpcs longer than many of us have been playing trumpet. He's a class act.

9. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    I am a redeveloping comebacker as well. If you want a flugel, I would not hesitate for a second on the ACB. If you are going to double, I would second the recommendation to get as close to your trumpet rim as you can manage. If your interest in the flugel helps maintain your enthusiasm despite the tough days and setbacks you will encounter, that alone justifies the purchase.

The following should be read and taken from the source - a not well trained musician, and may well be full of beans and immediately corrected by others who know better. But it is my experience:

I have actually found that when I neglect putting in time on my flugel, my trumpet playing suffers. Or rather, when I put time into the flugel, my trumpet work improves. You have to put time on both. The flugel will demand a bit more focus on tone, articulation, and air support throughout the range you are playing. This is NOT to suggest that flugel is like running with ankle weights, just that I find that flugels give you more feedback - at least to me. I hear it and feel it better.

Also, the flugel tells you right away if you are using pressure on your lips. And the hand position makes pressing more difficult. So if that is a problem for you, the flugel may help you break it.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I have the ACB Doubler flugel. I've got an old Schilke 16FL mouthpiece I was trying to use with it - it has been my flugel mouthpiece since about 1991 when it was given to me by a friend, but it doesn't seem to focus and respond well in this flugel, so I'm currently using the generic no-name flugel mouthpiece that came with it. Oddly enough, that this mouthpiece has no discernible pedigree, it's still a vast improvement over how that Schilke mouthpiece works. I see no reason to look any further for now - for me it's just an instrument I double for ballads playing with the wedding dance band, so for now I'm set.

I'd suggest to you that because you are a comeback player and therefore your chops are still going to be in a developmental phase, if you do get the ACB Doubler, just stick with the stock mouthpiece for a while.