1st dumb question...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RonD, Jun 25, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mark Curry is also a good guy. If I remember correctly, he, John Stork and Greg Black all worked for Giardinelli back in the day when Giardinelli was "the bomb".

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Best way would be to get yourself a Stomvi Mouthpiece System in your rim size: You get one rim, two shanks (trumpet and either cornet or flugel) and eight different cups, so you can experiment...

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Trent also makes very good mouthpieces.....

bigtiny

4. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Talk to Trent. He will get you in the correct mouthpiece.
    Rich T.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I stand by what I said earlier - if you get the ACB Doubler, stick with the stock mouthpiece for a bit and save the money until you are a bit more established and have a better idea of where you want to go with your sound and how the mouthpiece feels.

6. RonD

RonD Pianissimo User

Jun 22, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for all the replies. This place is great!

Here's what got me thinking about the Curry 600 series...
    "Curry 600 Series designs help you produce maximum sound with minimum effort! The rim is specifically designed to give maximum comfort while allowing superior flexibility over the entire range of the horn. The bite allows you to comfortably grip the mouthpiece, rather than hooking your chops in."

The minimum effort and maximum comfort parts, I like! I will have limited practice time, and I know I have limited patience!
    Back in my full time playing days, which ended in 1996, I used a Bach 1 1/2C, bored out as far as possible, on a Bach Strad 180/37. For flugel. I used a Stork custom, narrow rim, deep V cup, that I found in the bargain bin at my local dealer, on a 50's? Couesnon flugel.
    I mention this as reference to what I've used.

7. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    What he said. I like to use the same rim as trumpet. Several of my colleagues use flugel pieces wildly different from their trumpet pieces. Different strokes for different folks.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Also, playing flugel is as much an attitude as anything else.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    to be honest --- you will have to JUST PICK one and stick with it ----- pick a flugel and stick with it ---- otherwise, in another 5 years you will be back on here saying ---"well, I tried Flugel, and now I am a comebacker, because I didn't stick with it, so I have a dumb question about playing cornets" -------------OH MY Ron, please stick with the Flugel (I mean if your NOT going to play trumpet, then flugel is the next best thing --- BY ALL MEANS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NEVER resort to lowering you sights to a cornet ------ thank you Ron and have a great day!! ROFL ROFL ROFL