1st pedal C flat

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Hiwiller, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Hiwiller

Hiwiller New Friend

Dec 29, 2004
    near Cleveland, OH, USA
    Can someone enlighten me as to why the first pedal C partial is so flat on my strad?

I recently playtested a Cerveny rotary flugel and the same pedal C played almost perfectly in tune.

2. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    This is completely normal: just the trumpet - flugel difference!

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    That and Bach's "quality control"...
    -jimi

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Bach's quality has nothing to do with the flat pedal C. The trumpet bell flare is tight enough that, for the first harmonic, the trumpet behaves more like a completely cylindrical tube than a conical one. The harmonic series of a cylindrical pipe is stretched -- try playing the harmonic series on a mailing tube, a trumpet leadpipe, or a trombone slide.

After the out of tune fundamental-to-first-overtone jump, the conical tubing in the trumpet begins to have an effect, and the harmonic series begins to line up pretty well with what we've been taught to expect.

5. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    The only open pedal C I've ever heard that was in tune and sounded good was Jim Thompson on his Bachalone C trumpet at the U of T trumpet symposium in August '05.

The trumpet does not have an in tune pedal C. Nor does the cornet. The flugel stands alone here.

6. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    I must say that my Monette B2D cornet mouthpiece helps me play the easiest, most resonant, most in tune pedal C I've ever experienced!