1ST QUESTION for Mr. LAUREANO

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by orchtrpt, Sep 29, 2004.

1. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Dear Manny,

On that Alpine recording did your trumpet survive? It is simply some of the most intense and powerfull trumpet playing I have ever heard.

Can you give us some stories on that recording? Anything? There must have been some strings with their heads down on that one.

Awesome stuff :shock:

Great to have you here and WELCOME :D

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Alpine Symphony,huh?

That was, I believe, the first recording for Virgin records that we made with Edo de Waart and I was playing a Chicago STC1 that Dave Monette made for me. It was part of a set of Strauss works that I guess you can get in the "cut outs" section of your better record stores.

Listen to me...I still call them "records".

Sigh.

Anyway, it's been a kick to see how much people have enjoyed that recording. There aren't any stories associated with me for that session BUT I have to relay what happened between Edo and our Bass Trombonist, Dave Herring.

We got to the Summit section of the piece and Dave opened up full throttle down in the nether regions of his lowest register.

It was simply one of the most amazing things I have ever heard, him playing that low,that loud, that rich.

Edo stopped and looked back at him. He put his hands in his lap and said:

" I can s m e l l that from here!"

The orchestra broke up in stitches. David laughed a bit, too and then said:

"You mean you don't like that?"

I think we were laughing so hard we had to take a break.

The sad part of it is that Edo made him play that section softer so you're not hearing what we did in performance. Oh,yes...our motto around here is " The rehearsals are his but the concerts belong to us!"

Hope that sated your quest for session stories for a while.

ML

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Nice story, Manny!

I'll chime in with a second question: What is your favourite orchestral piece to play? Also, did you ever get around to breaking out your Bb in a performance?

Cheers,

Jack.

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I will chime in here with a Manny story, with him using his Bb. Back in the late 1990's, I was the lucky trumpeter called to play the 5th part on Bernsteins "Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs. As many of you know, this piece was written for Benny Goodman. The Minnesota Orchestra's incredible principal clarinetist, Burt Hara, played the solo. We set up on stage in a normal big band setting; saxes seated in front, bones behind them, and the trumpets standing behind the bones. Most of my part was an octave below Manny's part, so I had an easy time......;-)
    The last movement has these difficult runs, not chromatic. Some incredible playing on Manny's part, and it was a great thrill to be part of it.
    And yes, Manny was using a Bb trumpet.

Another great listening experience was watching and hearing the duet written for him and Doc, which was premiered here a year or so ago. Now, Doc's sound is quite a bit brighter than Manny's, but they both sounded incredible, matching perfectly (even up high). I am trying to find out if that piece was recorded....

Manny can "swing" with the best lead players...

:-)

Mike

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003

i wish i could have heard that one! please let me know if it was recorded.

6. orchtrpt

orchtrpt Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Awesome Manny.... Just the kind of story I was looking for :)

Folks for those who have not heard this recording it is a must have for every trumpet player. Although I must admit that I prefer other recordings of this piece as a whole (tempo, style, interpretation). In terms of the trumpet section and the 1st part it is a one of a kind recording!!!!! No joke. LISTEN TO THIS FOLKS! Get ready to be amazed.

diz get this!

Thanks Manny!

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Believe it or don't , I have tried TWICE today to answer you, Jack, and each time after writing lengthy answers I got subverted by the computer gods (or devils in this case!)

I'm going to have a cold one instead, now, and write later when the demons are asleep!

ML

8. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Manny - don't worry this has happened to me on many frustrating occasions!

On a side note, I just got back from seeing the LSO doing Dvorak 6 and the Beethoven Violin Concerto with Maxim Vengerov. The brass sounded amazing in the Dvorak, and that violinist was alright too :wink:

9. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    This has definitely been recorded, but I'm not sure where you can get it from. I heard some clips along with an interview with Manny and Doc a while ago.

10. gordygourmet

gordygourmet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    St. Cloud
    Mikey,

I was at one of the "Prelude, Fugue and Riffs" concerts. Wow, that was an awesome piece of work. Great fun to listen to. I have a recording of Vienna doing it and I love them for some stuff, but NOT Bernstein.

Manny, glad to see that you are still on a forum page to continue your wise words.

Patrick Thorn