1st trumpet/braces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Jan 17, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    currently i can play above the staff As Bs and Cs. (I am still recovering from the addition of braces). next year during marching band, my sophomore year, i will be playing second i have been told. my goal is by my senior year to play 1st trumpet. by then i will be freed of my braces, which i heard will allow me to play higher. two questions for those of you who have the experience....first will the removal of my braces ( i played for four years without them, first year)allow my range to expand higher? Second, does anybody have any hints to help me reach my goal of 1st trumpet by senior year, even better if my junior year?
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    thanks a lot,
    RHSbigbluemarchingband<3 ​

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    RHS,
    no the removal of braces will not give you any range. Only sensible practice will do that. The kids that tell you this are only making a point that one can use greater amounts of pressure when the braces are off, that helps those who have not earned the high range.

Critical for your future success is a proper DAILY routine. Soft long tones, slurs, tunes, enough breathing exercizes and an overall "unbrutal" approach will smooth the transition.

I do have a suggestion to help you reach your goal:

Practice more and more sensibly than the rest. Make your actions speak for your feelings. Don't talk about it or brag about it. JUST DO IT!
    If you REALLY want it, others will get the message. There is no free lunch!

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Robin is so right. There is only one thing to get you to your goal intelligent practice.

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    "by then i will be freed of my braces, which i heard will allow me to play higher. two questions for those of you who have the experience....first will the removal of my braces ( i played for four years without them, first year)allow my range to expand higher...?"

Please remember that there is MUCH more to trumpet playing than just squeaking out high notes. Rowuk makes a lot of sense, so make sure that you practice often, and practice intelligently...

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    i kinda figured the braces thing was a joke, considering they told me i wouldnt get my range back, which i did
    and thanks a lot for the advice

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I have posted often about one of my students who, when I moved her up from third trumpet to sit next to me as associate principal trumpet in our large community concert band, told me that she couldn't play much above the staff because of her braces. My response was that she definately could, but, she just didn't know how. I also told her that wearing braces was one of the best things that ever happened to her as a trumpeter. I got her started on very long low tones played as softly as possible while maintaining good tone, perfect intonation and not allowing the dynamic to change. After a couple of months she was playing with spectacular tone and perfect intonation up to a very solid C above the staff at the end of an hour long concert, and with screaming volume. As Robin stated, you will have to earn it, Becca did, and she was only 13 years old.

OLDLOU>>

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    oldlou,
    thanks for the advice. your method sounds exactly like what i have been applying to my own practices. I use a website called www.tapartoche.com tht has quite a bit of high range trumpet sheet music for songs a have a taste for. That has helped as well, giving me much practice in the higher registers. I can now play solid As and Bs, and by the end of february, i am hoping to start playing solid Cs. My band director has told me the same, to keep doing long tones, chromatics, and pedal tones. I will definetly keep your advice in mind as i progress towards my goal.
    Thanks again,
    RHSbigbluemarchingband​

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi RHS,
    1)Will the removal of braces cause my range to improve
    2)What do I need to do to become fist chair.

I don't think brace removal will cause an increase in range. Thee will be a period of adjustment(just like when you first had them put on). However, if you practice a little everyday on increasing your range (i.e. taking parts of songs from school and taking it up an octave or playing a hot high note on the end of a song) you'll be fine. Also, some would disagree with me but well.... they'd be wrong.
    It is important to SEE how people play in the upper range. I would recommend the DVD Maynard Live at the Top. You can get it through Seely Music.
    Now for the second part of yuour question How to get to first chair.
    Discover what the person is doing that's in first chair and copy them. Be able to do what they do. Make a time line for getting this done!!! Say for example work on it this summer.
    Know what the band director likes and use it. Communicate and get to know your band director's likes and dislikes. Show that you have leadership skills.
    Good luck