1st valve slide falling off

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jul 4, 2013.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Sometimes, after long bus or car rides, I find that the 1st valve slide on my trumpet has fallen off in the case. Fortunately, no damage have been dealt yet. What is causing this to happen? Does anyone else have/ have had this problem? How can I fix this?

My horn is a ytr-8335las (Yamaha Wayne Bergeron model), the case is a Yamaha double case, and the lubricant used on the 1st valve slide is a combination of Ultra Pure light slide grease and few drops of Ultra Pure valve oil.

Also, I'm planning on getting a Torpedo Bag tomorrow so I worry that it would fall off easier.

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    If the slide is well-lubricated, it could easily come off. So unless I'm missing something, there's no mystery here.

Two options. The first is to use a heavier grease on the first valve slide. This will make the slide slower when playing. So if you need your first valve slide to be fast, this may not be a good option.

The other option is to tie a string around it, so it can't come all the way off. I do this with the 3rd valve slide of my Ambassador and my C trumpet, neither of which has a stop to keep the slide from coming all the way out.

Mike

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Most of my horns where the first slide is used are connected by a spring or stop. Without a stop, there is no way to keep it on. Yamaha would have thought of that so it should be fast and tight. You've over lubed it and need to try one or the other (oil or grease, not both). The other possibility is that it's a mechanical problem and the slide isn't properly fitted. If it's always done this, I would see if warranty would cover the repair. If not,have a great tech that knows Yammies fix it.

I did have this problem on my flugel, but it's not a fast slide so I used Hetman's #9 (no longer available) to keep it in place. #9 would not work in your case. I tried it on a tuning slide for grins. I wasn't smiling when done. It was almost a stuck slide!!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    How is your 1st valve compression? The better the compression the less likely the slide is to move I think. You could try pipecleaners or those cloth/fabric covered elastic bands people use in their hair to keep the slide in during transit.

--bumblebee

5. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    How do I test compression?

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    The simplest indication is to pull out the slide without pressing down the valve. If it comes out easily without any noticeable "pop" sound then compression is reduced. If it resists coming out and makes a "pop" when it does then compression is probably pretty good.

However even a slide for a valve with good compression can work its way out due to the vibration during travel but it would happen more slowly.

--bumblebee

7. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Seems like my horn has really good compression. So I guess it's the vibration as you suggested. Makes sense as it only happens on long drives.

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    A good tech can expand the inner slide tubing to an appropriate dimension. A more elegant solution would be to add a trigger.

BTW: A better way to check compression would be to stuff a handball snugly in the bell and blow. You can then hear where leaks are and how severe they are. I wouldn't try this over a hard surface in case a loose slide pops off, though.

9. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Agree with all the above.

If you get, or have gotten a Torpedo, this will be an ongoing problem for you. I love Torpedo bags, and I own three of them, but the first valve slide will come off. I now use elastic hair bands (make sure to get the type with no metal) to hold the slides in place when in the case. A package of 20 costs about a dollar. When I'm playing I leave it wrapped around the bottom of the valves, then just put is over the slide before placing the horn in the case. No failures and fairly unobtrusive.

10. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
    I would try a thicker slide grease. Slide grease is cheap why not experiment right? Bach is really sticky and as water "mixes" with it, it doesn't stick as bad when you have to use it. But it takes some time to get
    "worked" in. Best of luck let us know what works for ya!