1st valve slide ring

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzmaster, Feb 16, 2009.

1. jazzmaster

jazzmaster New Friend

Sep 26, 2008
    earth
    I have a 1965 Getzen Eterna Severinson and It does not have a 1st valve slide. The slide is parallel not of set like most other trumpets that have a ring there to use. And as I prosed to more serious music I need to use it but I does not have a ring there. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a repair guy make one? But it would have to be floating from the back end of the slide to the valve casings?

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I have seen that kind of adaptation - a bar soldered to the end of the slide extending parallel to it to a ring or saddle mounted on the end near the valve casing. You may have to loosen the slide fit a bit since it is not designed to be that easy to move.
    veery

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Before you go messing with the horn, you might have someone very experienced listen to your intonation. If it has no hook, it was probably designed to work without one, assuming the "right" mouthpiece.

You might be right on and don't realize it.

Tom

4. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    If you take it to a repair guy(someone that is reputable), he probably will give you three options for attaching a thumb hook, the method you mentioned- attaching a piece to the back and make it float to the right position, or he might talk about reversing the first slide, so breaking it and rebuilding it like a trumpet with a thumb hook on it, or he might talk about attaching a trigger. The first way is safer, but the second way works, and the third way is safe but requires soldering to your first valve case and you need to get used to the positioning of the trigger, if you don't like neither, then just keep your horn the way it is, if it didn't create any problems, it's not gonna just start causing problems tomorrow...:dontknow:

5. jazzmaster

jazzmaster New Friend

Sep 26, 2008
    earth
    thank you, I am using a denis wick 4 and I love it (for wind ensamble) and a shilke 14a4a for jazz band. I dont know if my intonation is off or not, my band director had told us to use them So i was wondering. I have mastered the 3rd ring and I was wondering. for now I just play my e's as 3 insted of 1&2. I would love to have a trigger thoe!

6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Sounds like you need a Korg tuner or equivalent , then you can test every note to see if you are in tune or not and learn adjustments you can make without the need of moving the ist slide. I have mostly vintage horns and none have a ist slide designed to be moved, other than the Barrington. My other two trumpets work fine with just adusting the 3rd slide with the provided adjustable ring. On the Selmer K mod I once had, it had a factory trigger, which I loved to use and when I got a Yamaha 734 in 1970, I had a trigger put on, with good results. Actually, I am more comfortable using a ist slide saddle, but never had one until I got the Barrington. I think your director is way off base, especially if your horn wasn't built for one, you certainly don't need to modify it just so you can exercise your thumb.
    Good luck!

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I completely agree with both Tom and Dave. That Eterna was designed w/o that feature and the intention was for you to compensate as necessary with how you blow. Checking with a tuner is great, but it is even better to play with others and listen and then if you hear that you are sharp you can (learn to) blow those pitches down.

When first starting trumpet 8 billion years ago, I had no 1st or 3rd adjustable slides. It has been a challenge for me in my comeback to add that skill, but I have found that I use #1 very little.

I also agree that your director is misinformed.
    veery

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Adding a saddle is a fairly easy task...I've seen the "long bar" style several times. Adjusting the pitch with the chops is more work than using the slides.

Depending on the intune-ness of the groups and people you play with, an adjustable first slide can make excellent intonation MUCH easier. If a group is out of tune in general, it doesn't make much difference.

9. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Get with a tuner and test what you have. The 1st slide ring or saddle makes life much easier.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Forget the tuner, they are USELESS. Our ears and brains do not work "well tempered" (remember Bach?). If you tune to a tuner (except for one tuning note), you will ALWAYS be out of tune - on every note!

You are on the right track with the thumb hook, but that may not be the only mod necessary. Some older horns without a saddle or ring actually had the first valve slide a bit too long to compensate. A decent tech can add the saddle or ring and if necessary, shorten the first valve slide a bit, making everything perfect. The Eterna Sevrinsen is a fine horn, but the "collectors value" is not that great. I would get a tech to do the mod! You are more flexible afterwards!