1st valve slide ring

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzmaster, Feb 16, 2009.

1. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I have a related question.

Does anyone else keep their thumb out of the saddle? I keep it behind the saddle on my Strad, and I think it relieves the pressure on my mouthpiece. When I need to slide a note out, I just use the friction between my finger and the slide to hold it in place. I think you could take the saddle off, and just put a short rod in place at your preferred distance to hold your thumb farther away.

I like how it feels when I have my thumb there, because the valve block seems too small for my hand during concert playing. For jazz, it'd be all right to do it normally, and for marching, but for concert band it seems to work great.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Will,
    I am having trouble visualizing your problem. In any case, if the saddle is too close to the valve cluster, a tech can move it back a bit to get a perfect fit.
    I have no "preferred distance". Depending on the note and the surrounding notes from the ensemble, I need to move the slide from only a tiny bit too sometimes almost all the way out. I can't imagine doing that with any speed without the saddle exactly where it is.

I guess this is the point. The electronic tuner advocates have a fixed target to aim for, the working musician needs MUCH more to get all the notes where they belong. Well tempered tuning means everything is comprimised to allow all keys to be playable - just not exactly in tune. Proper tuning for a wind player means minimizing the interference "beats".

3. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    I really don't like the saddle at all.

Try putting your thumb behind the saddle, it's more comfortable for me. I like having the thumb directly on the slide.

4. jazzmaster

jazzmaster New Friend

Sep 26, 2008
    earth
    I don't like you guys saying that my instructor is misinformed!! he is not he just made a comment that in our song "Dream journey" (look it up it is sick!!!!) he said that one e was a little sharp, he did not say I needed to mod. I was just looking at the possibilities and wondering why my horn did not have a saddle. some of you need to not be so fast to conclusions!! that you guys for the info.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The usual option for the too high 1/2 combination is to use thrid valve, which works great on Getzens. Rather than a saddle, I prefer a ring, which seems to make throwing the slide a lot easier.