2 Exercises...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Jul 4, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BUM,
    one of the best ways to help yourself play in a more relaxed way is to move your practice time to a lower tension time. If I come home from work and try to get a half an hour in before dinner, that is exactly what happens - I SQUEEZE something into an unnatural time frame. I spend that time with my kids instead. Then we have dinner together and then I go open end into my practice time. The same on the weekends that I don't have gigs. Take care of the family first and then reward myself with a great relaxed practice session!

2. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Cheers Rowuk,
    I never thought about practise sessions like that.
    I suppose you could take that to the extreme of fitting practise within your biorhythmic cycle. Now that would be a silly, knit picking thread! ROFL

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It would be less invasive if you practiced to your WIFES biorythmic cycle...................

4. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California

Listen to him when he says this... I tried switching to another embouchure by myself. I understood the concept, I understood how it worked and how to practice, but I did not know what to do to get better with it. How did I know I was doing it right??? I switched back, and got back to where I was. Just stick with what you have and improve on that. Get a teacher and have him kind of guide you along.

5. YorkNGetzenGuy

YorkNGetzenGuy New Friend

Jun 28, 2013
    MI
    LOL

I do this quite often when I can not practice or my wife tells me to she needs a break. usually she tells me to take the Dulcimer out in the pavilion cause I need a break! Oh,...i do it without pencil/pen' That's an old Phil Driskoll thing, he sold videos of this "Perfect Position" method.

I also wonder if people think I'm a "Grumpy Old Man" with my lips all puckered askew. The kids on the street do stay away from me. But at times I do think it helps at times.
    Perhaps it's also the times when i practice more?
    Yah,....people on the bus will probably simply move away! LOL again!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    How do you guys find these Zombies? And number 2 yellow pencil dye... doesn't that eventually turn you into a Zombie?

7. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    After a few months on the comeback trail I have decided that I have a 'churchman' embouchure.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The "pencil" and "button" exercises IMO are rarely done correctly ... and where is the fault? The answer to this lay in the failure of adequate instruction, written or orally provided. First, I don't think the usage of an ordinary pencil is very hygienic to be placing in your mouth. Too, the best results have nothing to do with added weight. To understand this, I can only suggest one utilize the lips' own strength to press on the "pencil" alternately pressing and relaxing. Some physiologists may call this "dynamic tension" as did the body building techniques of Angelo Siciliano aka Charles Atlas to which he legally changed his name, but the USAF called it isometric exercises and requires no expensive equipment. The "button" exercise is a interior pull against the lips, again resisted by the strength of the lips. IT IS NOT A JERK OF THE BUTTON OUT OF THE LIPS as will usually cause bruising . Yes, these two exercises are incorporated in a device called P.E.T.E. marketed by Warburton, and this is what I use and clean regularly to maintain it as hygienically as reasonably possible. With my age and health I am not saying I achieve optimum results, but I'm no longer concerned about my lip embouchure either. Too, it has raised the eyebrows with curiosity of those who have seen me using P.E.T.E., even by Doctors and nurses who attended me during my lengthy stays in the hospital. Yes, I say our individual lip physiology also interplays with our embouchure, but our own accommodation usually overcomes this if we adamantly persist in playing our brass instruments, and to this end I've seen many on the marching fields and stages that have accomplished such. For an instructor/teacher to characterize such as a deficiency is akin to calling a student a dunce because at the moment the correct answer is not known. No, no student of mine will "sit in the corner" with a dunces conical hat on their head, as historically some teachers had their students do.