2 Questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Mar 16, 2005.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Billy- Bingo! I'll pass that opne along. (Also to any of my students that have or are due for braces). Thanks!

2. Leo

Leo New Friend

Mar 26, 2005
    near to Innsbruck
    Dear Mr Laureano,

I have a question about the embouchure of my son. I'm from Austria and my English is too bad to explain exactly, so I posted a photo too. My son Maximilian will become eleven years in may and plays the trumpet since he was 6. I also play trumpet in a concert and marching band. 3 weeks ago my son was member of a youth contest for classical music. He had to play 5 numbers with piano accomplainment (?). He played very well and won a 1st price. After the contest the members of the jury (professors of Austrian conservatories) talked to the teacher of Maximilian and they said that he has much talent and a big endurance, but a very wrong embochure. He should stop playing for a few months and then start with a new kind of embouchure. If he holds his instrument in the way he does his progress will stop in a few years (the bell is to high). But in the net I saw on many photos of american trumpeters that they hold there trumpet in a very similar way to my son. But trumpeters in sinfonie orchestras do it the way as the professors said. So what do you think about it? :dontknow:

[​IMG]

Thank you for taking you time
    Leo and Max :-) :-)

3. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    umm as far as the braces kid, keep using the wax. and have him put his down at a dowward angle, holdinmg the bell up more, it helped me like crazy

however, NEVER give him a 10.5 C.....it was the worst thing a teacher could have done for me

if anything, move him to a 5C if he is on a 7c....thats jus my opinion based on my experiences with braces....
    and do not let him use those braces guard things they are crap

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Leo,

You are from one of my favorite places in the world to travel to!

As for your Max (meinen Sohn ist auch Max und er spiele posaune!) I say this:

If his sound is good, he has good endurance, and he just won a prize at a contest why change? The most important considerations are sound and range. Is the low also good? When he begins the note is it easy or difficult?

There have been many first class trumpeters in major symphony orchestras with such an embouchure. William Scarlett played many years in the Chicago Symphony with Mr. Herseth with an embouchure like that. You are his father and you are the one who hears him the most, more than his instructor.

Good luck... I know it is difficult to convince people when they see one thing and believe another.

Tchuss!

ML

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Ok. Just finally got to meet with her. (We had a half-day on her last lesson day and lost the period). That threw us into a real lag due to long weekends). I tried to begin very simply by having her lock the embouchre and inhale/exhale with the embouchre locked in place, then describe it's feeling. She is now aware of what her mouth is doing. Corrections will take a bit more time, and we will probably do our fish immitations at the start of each lesson for the next few weeks. We'll be making fish faces at each other in the hall for a while!

6. Leo

Leo New Friend

Mar 26, 2005
    near to Innsbruck
    Hello!

Thank you for your usefull answers. So I decided that we do not try to change Max's embouchure. Yes his low notes are also good. When he begins the note he somtimes takes the wrong (I think you say he misses?), but this became much better in the last year. At the age of nine he reached very high notes (g''', higher than I can play) with a good sound, but he did not really have them under control. Now (by practising 30 - 60 min per day) he ends at a'' or b'', but he sounds more beautiful in the middle registers. That seems a little courios to me.

I'm proud that you like Austria. I did read many of your replies. I'ts very interesting. You should visit my country andteach Austrian trumpet-teachers in a seminar or a masterclass, this would be very interesting for them. If you ever write a book, it would become a good seller in Austria and Germany I think. Nice that your son is also named Max! How old is he?

All the best
    Leo

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Leo,

My son is 14 years old and growing too fast. In addition to trombone he is a wonderful baseball player. He loves all sports. I also have a daughter who plays violin and I am impressed by her improvements which are every day!

The place in Austria that I know best is Wien and I am always happy to go and eat the food and have the sweet beer that is so popular there. I got to know a little more of Austria when I visited the Schagerl factory to buy his trumpets for the orchestra. Beautiful countryside!

I would enjoy a visit to Austria to share what I have learned with other trumpeters but first I have to practice my Deutsch! Austria has a rich tradition of brass playing (Hans Gantsch, Roland Berger) and it would be my privilege. Maybe one day it would happen.

ML