2 questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Ok instead of making two threads and wasting space I thought I would put two questions in one thread.

I was recently on vacation for a week and wasn't able to play, and now that I am recovering whenever I play in my upper register my throat really hurts. It's not like that for my lower register, just my upper.

Also a lot of the time when I play my neck bulges, is this really bad? Or can I continue to play for years and years with it or is it something that will hurt my playing?

2. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    Diz did it for years, but there was only one Diz, so YMMV.

I remembered reading something at TubeNet about a condition called pneumoparotid that can sometimes afflict brass players. It happens when air is forced into the salivary gland (parotid gland).

I searched and found the link.
    TubeNet • View topic - Diagnosis of pneumoparotid associated with playing the tuba

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    My guess is that you are using too much air pressure and not relaxing your throat when you play. I would suggest you work with long tones and slurs very softly and try and relax everything as you expel the air. The best answer would be to find a good teacher and work with them.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I'll bet you had this problem before vacation and didn't notice it! A solution is my Circle of Breath. Use the search feature to find it. Another thing to watch out for is grunting when playing. The cure is the same!

A bulging neck will not hurt anything as long as you are relaxed. The funny thing is that the first and second half of your post are contradictory. This is something a trumpet teacher can point out and solve in one sitting. Could take months over the internet.

5. nosray

nosray Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Rowuk, I was having trouble finding the thread about your Circle of Breath. I find I am having the same problem too, after my vacation.

6. Publius_

Publius_ Banned

Jan 21, 2009
    ----
    your neck bulges? I have never heard of this but I have to say it definitely does, it disrupts the airflow and will prevent you from holding notes longer. That's just my take on the issue though there is a chance I might be wrong.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Here ya go! It isn't much, but many times in life simplicity just means efficient!

come back player problems - TrumpetMaster