2 show day endurance. Input appreciated!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jazzy816, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    Hi all,

I have performances for Beauty and the Beast this week beginning on Thursday, going through Saturday. On Saturday we have a matinee and night performance. The show is pretty taxing in the sense that there are only a few instances where we have more than a couple minute rest. By the end of our dress rehearsals I'm nearing the end of my muscular strength. ( E's and D's in the last four ish songs don't help). We have 2 and a half hours between the end of the matinee and beginning of the night show. I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks or ways of encouraging faster muscular regeneration seeing as I have not a lot of time and I need to be just about fresh muscle wise. Anything helps!

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The trick is not really a matter of quicker recovery, but rather in pacing. With that said, I think you'll find that by the time the second show comes around, you'll have recovered more than you think and you'll get through the shows ok.

Back when I was doing Latin band, there were times when I'd get to the end of the second set and be pretty fatigued, and I'd wonder how I was going to make it to the end of the night. Somehow, I'd get a second wind in that break between the 2nd and 3rd sets, and I'd be able to play out the rest of the gig without issue.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted on how it goes.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    This is why you need a good practice regiment all the time.

Anyway, drink a lot of water.

Pedialyte is fantastic for replacing fluids and electrolytes, use it!

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ah - I'll second what Chuck said about replacing fluids and electrolytes, although usually I just water and Gatorade. Chuck, is the Pedialyte better than Gatorade for that?

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I can sympathize with you. Provided you are not professionally playing a show, and assuming you don't want to chance that you will somehow recover, consider playing softer. Ease back on spots where you would blow to FF. Yeah, trumpet players love to get the edgy sound from volume. Forgo it. And, in extreme conditions, drop the super high stuff down if you must.

Other ideas presented are also good.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Patrick, Pedialyte is found in the kid's section of drug stores.

One of the great stories, (true story) is that in the NHL playoffs just a few years ago, The Red Wings were in a multiple overtime game. In between periods they ALL were given a bottle of Pedialyte. They all said it REALLY rejuvenated them and they won the game.

I also use it on gig where I am sweating a lot. It really helps!

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Try buzzing just your lips in the interval between performances. Not a high-note buzzing, but try aind do something like a tuba players lowest bass notes. Let the buzz move from the outside to the inside of your lips. Give your lips a light masage by just putting your first two fingers between your lips (fingernail depth) and wiggle them up and down while breathing in and out for ten seconds at a time, repeat tien times, then ten minutes rest and repeat. (Don't let anybody see you, or you'll be in danger of being certified!). Have half an hours sleep (but set your alarm!!)

8. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    Try playing one to two low F-sharps at a soft dynamic level between the shows. Laurie Frink called this recovery.

Back when I was playing lead in a university jazz orchestra in PA, the jazz director called out Buddy Rich’s “Channel One Suite” at the end of the set. I used the recovery note to get me through the chart. I’ve never had to play two musical shows consecutively. I did have to sight-read a musical down in ten minutes almost immediately after a jazz orchestra rehearsal where I was playing co-lead. For this, I played through Laurie’s brief routine for rehearsals and performances. It really helped me.

Janell

9. trumpetdiva1

trumpetdiva1 Piano User

Jun 6, 2004
    Albuquerque
    Try playing one to two low F-sharps at a soft dynamic level between the shows. Laurie Frink called this recovery.

Back when I was playing lead in a university jazz orchestra in PA, the jazz director called out Buddy Rich’s “Channel One Suite” at the end of the set. I used the recovery note to get me through the chart. I’ve never had to play two musical shows consecutively. I did have to sight-read a musical down in ten minutes almost immediately after a jazz orchestra rehearsal where I was playing co-lead. For this, I played through Laurie’s brief routine before rehearsals and performances. It really helped me.

Janell