20 minute G spot?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jamesfrmphilly, Dec 26, 2003.

1. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    Hi James - just my thoughts.

1) breath as necessary, through your nose, deeply and slowly
    2) close your eyes to avoid distraction, open your ears, still your mind - this note is not unlike chanting "ommm" a kind of trumpet meditation
    3) play it when you have the time, the inclination and the stillness of mind to stay present - its not a warm up or warm down - it is an excersize in its own right

Noel.

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    thanks, i'll give it a try 8)

3. Dr G

Dr G Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2003
    Cat Anderson wrote:

Many people ask me about the mouthpiece. Well, the mouthpiece has never played a note without your help, although a good and scientifically designed mouthpiece is very important. A mouthpiece can never substitute for ability. Once you find a comfortable mouthpiece that you like, never change. The secret of playing in the upper register is you and you only!

4. busnutmedic

busnutmedic New Friend

Jan 1, 2004
    massachusetts
    I play the 20 minute G often, when my brother (who's also a brass player) heard it was a 20 minute G he was incredulous that I could hold it for 20 minutes :D Unfortunately...I'm one of those few who have to take a breath every so often. ;)

Bonnie

5. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Thanks for the description Noel.

The routine is one of the great 'hints' in brass playing.

Regards,

Trevor

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    jamesfrmphilly,
    Hey I am a comeback player -- and this is one of the main things that really helped me (endurance, range, tone).
    when I first started like 14 months ago --- I could barely play 5 minutes, and not softly like you should --- gradually I worked up to 20.
    it takes time and discipline-- but I say -- seroiusly give it a try just for a month -- and then see

7. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    There is more to the 20 minute G than just holding at pppp for 20 minutes. If you want to get the full value, do it as described in the new version of the Cat Anderson method that is recently out by a student of Cat. I forget the name but you can look it up. A couple of paragraphs of explanation by the guy who got it directly from Cat is worth pages and pages of speculation here.

8. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    hey just circle breathe!
    lol
    I do chicowitz studies... maybe a tad bit irrelevant, but probably one of my favorite pieces of paper i have received from a PL teacher.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Danger? You are moving up and down the horn. One note every 20 minutes. It is a great exercise to incorporate into one's practice routine. There is no danger unless the ONLY thing one does is this exercise to the exclusion of every other exercise.

10. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK