$200 Strad?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Maui_Jimmy, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    I found a Bach Strad (272146)
    It has no dents or dings, but is in desperate need of replating and the valve are worn with almost no compression. I'm looking for something to flip, but thinking it may be too much cost. Am I correct in my assessment?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Valve replating = $100 per valve, replating =$300 and will need a valve alignment too. A rough estimate would be $800 out of pocket cost to you, but you'll have a new Bach Strad.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Albeit with thinner walls - a semi-lightweight.

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I am not advocating dumping a bad horn on someone; but you should consider how well the horn plays. If it still plays well heavier valve oil may provide years of life to the valves. As long as the buyer is aware of the condition of the valves you should have no moral qualms about selling it without a valve rebuild. Priced accordingly, $200 for the horn, $300 for the plating, $200 profit equals someone gets a bright shiny Strad for $700. As long as it plays well I think I would do the deal.

5. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    I got it home and cleaned it up. It does have some dings in it here and there, but nothing major I can find. The valves have better compression than I originally thought, but not great. It plays great though :O)
    Here are some pics. If anyone can give me an idea of a fair market value I would appreciate it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    Not shabby at all! A+ find!

7. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I sold mine of the same model for $1,000 a year ago. Mine was old, but in very good condition. Well, the bell had been expertly shaped back into a bell, but otherwise the instrument was in great shape.

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    With the photos you have posted, any buyer will have the same questions that you have and will calculate the cost to bring it up to good condition. But, if they go all the way, it would be a nice horn at the level of ones that will bring $11-1200. So, if you back out the $800 cost to refurb, that still means $3-400 or so as-is. It's now just a matter of finding someone that wants to go that route and can make that calculation.

9. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I'd give you $300 for it.