2006 National Trumpet Competition

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Bikephan, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Bikephan

Bikephan New Friend

Sep 22, 2005
    Central Missouri
    The rules for the 2006 NTC are now posted

http://www.nationaltrumpetcomp.org/

In the past I have participated in several ITG competitions, yet I have never submitted a recording to the NTC, I am less familiar with the procedures. I plan to submit the Hindemith. I notice that the semifinal round for the masters division is 10 minutes. So should the submitted recording include cuts to keep it under ten minutes or should I submit the entire piece?

thanks

2. trumpetchad

trumpetchad New Friend

Aug 31, 2005
    I've competed and won NTC a few times, and I've been to NTC many other years.

You can put the entire piece on the recording if you want, but just know that they are ultra-strict about the time element at the competition. Some divisions, I believe, have around 40-50 competitors, and this, combined with masterclasses, recitals, etc. forces the competition to keep a rigid schedule.

The entire competition weekend has been very exciting in the past and this year promises to be no exception. Good luck!

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I had thought about tossing my hat into the mix and competing in the ProAm division. The idea was to get off of my butt and start working at getting better with a definite goal in mind. The only division that I would have qualified for is the Pro Am division, but in the past, the rules stated that you could only make so much money a year playing music, and that if you made above that stated amount, you did not qualify. Unfortunately, while I may not play that great, I made quite a bit more as a musician on the side than was allowed for qualification in the Pro Am division.

I don't see those stipulations for 2006. Are they still there?

4. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    They mention audition tapes should be a live recording with piano. I have no opportunity to record at a live performance with piano. I was planning on submitting my recording I just did with an orchestra behind me on the Haydn. Do you know if they allow that or does it have to be piano? Thanks!!

Adam W. Metzler

5. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    They should allow you to submit that, as long as you are playing the haydn for the competition.

Email them, they have been good about replying to my emails in the past. I have to record mine soon, gotta clean the chaynes up a little more though...