2014 calicchio arrived

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SBG, Feb 5, 2014.

1. SBG

SBG New Friend

Feb 5, 2014
    Hello everyone,

I ordered a 1s/2 from John Duda and it arrived after almost 7 months to the day. John was always easy to contact and a pleasure to do business with. There were some issues beyond his control that delayed delivery time and John worked as hard as he could to ensure that my trumpet was completed and shipped safely.
    As for the trumpet- I am very pleased. It is finished in silver plate and looks beautiful.
    For most of my career I have played Bach trumpets. The calicchio is standard weight but much lighter than a standard Bach. To me, some of the xeno trumpets have a similar weight and balance.
    The build quality is excellent and it is clearly a top quality modern instrument, however the valve design (springs outside on top of pistons) give it a vintage feel. The valve action is light and fast but with a bit more noise than modern valves.
    To blow, it is a very responsive instrument with excellent intonation throughout the harmonics. It has nice, wide slots in the lower register and an even tone all over. The sound is bright, which is to be expected, but the most surprising aspect has been the density and core of sound. For example, I would say that a Bach 43 or 72* can be just as bright but the calicchio produces an intensity that is a thrill to behold. When i play it I can feel the core resonating in my teeth and head!
    The upper register is vibrant and the trumpet offers what I would describe as a flexible resistance. Rather than reaching a wall that stops any further airflow, the 1s/2 seems to warn you when that point is approaching so that you can dwell in the resistance and let the trumpet resonate.
    It is still early days for me and I have not yet taken the calicchio out on a job so I can't make any comments on its contribution to an ensemble. Stand by if you're interested and I'll write something down as time permits.

Best,

Shane Gillard.

2. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Pictures?!!

3. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    Huh? My Xeno is heavier than most, heavier than any standard weight Bach I've held certainly. Did you try the lightweight 8310Z model perhaps?

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Congratulations on your new trumpet, Shane. For comparisons sakes, my 2000 Strad 180S37 weighs 38 ounces on my scale.

Jim

5. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Congratulations and welcome to the club. As far as valve noise goes, John Duda seems to like to demonstrate his strength torquing down the top caps. I've had to put a little extra effort into tightening the top caps on every Calicchio I've had, but the valves will quiet down nicely when it's done.