2014 New Years Resolution - get serious with practicing/improving trumpet skills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ButchA, Jan 5, 2014.

1. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Good morning,

I don't frequent this forum as much as I should, but this year I tend to focus more on playing my old trumpet and improving my skills. There is TONS of excellent advice on this forum, so I need to stick around a little more!

I guess I should say that I'm one of those crazy multi-instrumentalist type of people. Trumpet is and will always be my first love, going all the way back to 4th grade in school. But over the years, I picked up this, picked up that, learned this, learned that, etc... and play a wide variety of instruments.

Sadly, I've neglected my trumpet for a number of years, only picking it up on occasion, and my tone and range greatly suffered. I've been slowly working my way back with music books (Arban's, etc...) and got my range back to where I can just about hit the high B and C (above ledger line). The high A is my cleanest, clearest, note on a consistent basis.

My trumpet is my prized 1967 Holton Collegiate, that has been with me ever since 4th grade. I currently play on a Bach 3C and it works well for me. I also have a Shilke 14A4a but it is so bright, it could chip paint off the wall! I rarely use it anymore.

With all of this said, I just wanted to say that I will be on this forum a lot more and will be focusing more attention to my old trumpet and continue to improve my skills.

[​IMG]

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nice to see another RVA player here. There might be enough for a decent trumpet hang! Think there are half dozen or so from the RVA area. Good to hear from you and don't be a stranger!

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Best wishes in your trumpeting efforts, Butch. I have an old Collegiate cornet from about the same era as your trumpet, and it is certainly an adequate instrument.
    Jim

4. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Thanks... I guess I finally learned that there is so much more to music than wailing away on an electric guitar or beating on a drum kit or even thumping an electric bass along to the Allman Bros "Whipping Post" for 11 minutes straight! LOL... :cool: